When is It Safe to Start Swimming After Rhinoplasty?

Swimming Post-Rhinoplasty

As a general rule of thumb, I always advise my patients to refrain from physical activity for the first three weeks after a nose job. Though this estimate seems a little long, it is better to be safe during this crucial time in your recovery. In terms of swimming after your nose job, I think three weeks is an acceptable, ample time to wait. In this way, you can be sure that your exercise is not interfering with your proper recovery and that your new nose is not negatively affected or strained. 

In our practice, unrestricted physical activity may be resumed 21 days after rhinoplasty surgery - including swimming.

You may be at risk for nose bleeding during the first 21 days postoperative rhinoplasty. Normal social activities may be resumed 8-10 days postoperative, but it may be best to wait three weeks to resume strenuous activity. Hope this helps you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

About 6 Weeks After Surgery

Diving and other movements through the water will shift the nose's position before it's resilient enough to handle this. For all of these reasons it's recommended that patients avoid swimming for six weeks from the time of surgery, even if you keep your head out of the water, because you never know if you might get splashed with lots of water accidentally. However, you should ask your surgeon for their advice as they may have different guidelines.

Ok to swim 2 weeks after rhinoplasty

It is acceptable to start getting back into the pool and swimming approximately two weeks after the surgery. Make sure you do not bump your nose on the bottom or side of the pool especially during the first month after the procedure.

Swimming after rhinoplasty

I would wait at least 3-4 weeks after a rhinoplasty to go swimming. If you had an open procedure,the water may macerate the incision a bit.  Be careful with nasal goggles as well pushing on yoru nose.

Swimming and Rhinoplasty

Generally, exertional activity, like exercise and swimming should be avoided for 2 weeks after any nasal surgery.

Chlorine can be irritating to the nasal lining tissue, so if you swim that early, it might sting a bit. If not, then you should be OK if you wait just 2 weeks

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swimming after Nasal Surgery or Rhinoplasty

Avoid any exercise or activity which raises your heart rate and blood pressure for at least 2 weeks following nasal surgery. Contact sports should be avoided for 6 weeks following rhinoplasty. Swimming should be permissible after 2 weeks. However, speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon who should provide counseling that is appropriate for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swimming after Rhinoplasty

I recommend avoiding strenuous activity for 3 weeks after rhinoplasty surgery. I also tell patients to avoid any nasal trauma for 6 weeks. Therefore patients can swim after 3 weeks as long as there is no diving.