Why Does One Side of my Nose Appear Longer Than the Other After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty surgery nearly 2 months ago. I had my dorsal hump removed, an osteotomy and cartilage placed on sides.When I look in the mirror at an angle, the left side of my nose looks good, but the right side looks more swollen and longer around the bottom 2/3 of the nose. The right side just does not appear equal,and it is quite noticeable.I was just wondering if this could still be swelling in my nose or is this something that's permanent, because as of right now I'm hating my decision to get the surgery.

Greetings.

If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation.

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

Generally speaking, it can take 6 to 12 months to completely heal after surgery. Please stay in touch with your surgeon or his/her clinical team to discuss your ongoing concerns.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 months after rhinoplasty

First, there is always asymmetry in the nose. It can never be completely symmetric. Second, more than likely you still have swelling in the nose.  You really have to give it 6 months to a year.

one side of my nose appear longer

Need a photo or my guess is either still swollen or a poor result. Go seek opinions from other surgeons. Better yet wait a full 2 months.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Asymmetry after Rhinoplasty

You may have asymmetrical swelling or actual structural asymmetry, which not resolve. It is too soon for a revision if that is necessary. Talk to your surgeon; as Dr Persky said, small droplets of steroid injection may help the swelling.

Nasal Asymmetry Two Month After Rhinoplasty

Hi,

It is still too early to tell what your nose will ultimately look like after your rhinoplasty two months ago.  Plus there is nothing to do about it at this time other than possibly Kenalog injections.  Discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon and follow directions.  Let us know how things are in about 4 more months. 

Hope that you heal well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon