Is It Safe to Sneeze or Cough After Rhinoplasty?

I want to have a rhinoplasty, but I sneeze a lot and I have a runny nose (allergies) is it safe to sneeze/cough/blow my nose after rhinoplasty?

Sneezing and coughing after rhinoplasty

It is generally recommended NOT to blow your nose while recovering from a rhinoplasty and just have it run especially during the first week.   This is to prevent any bleeding from happening while everything is healing.  While it's easy to tell people not to blow their nose, its much more difficult to tell them not to sneeze and cough.  Sneezing and coughing are involuntary reactions and the primary force of the air is through mouth without disturbing the nasal airway too much.  It is usually not a big issue.

Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 5 hours ago

Sneezing/Coughing Post Rhinoplasty

Sneezing and coughing may be unavoidable after a rhinoplasty, but it is important to keep in mind that your nose is still sensitive if it is in recovery. If it is relatively later in your recovery period, sneezing or coughing will pose a less serious threat (especially if it has been more than 10 days since your nose job). Either way, try to minimize the pressure and intensity of your sneeze or cough. And, try to sneeze or cough primarily through the mouth instead of through the nose.  

Sam Rizk, MD

Last contacted 17 days ago

Rhinoplasty

Sneeze or cough through your mouth as best as possible.  Do not put a tissue up against your nostrils that could force any back pressure.  Try to be gentile, but it is hard to self control coughs and sneezes.  I hope this info helps.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Last contacted 8 months ago

Sneezing, Coughing, and Blowing Nose after Rhinoplasty

Sneezing and coughing after your rhinoplasty should not cause any problems as long as this is minimized with appropriate medication. I usually tell my patients to not blow their noses for about 3 weeks after rhinoplasty, but will extend that restriction if for example  grafts have been used. Although not as effective, I will let patients initially blow their noses without pressure on the nostrils Like everything we do in rhinoplasty surgery, post-op instructions are individualized. 

Last contacted 17 hours ago

Sneezing aftre rhinoplasty

How long post rhinplasty? I tell patientd to sneeze with their mouth wide open right after surgery but, after a few weeks I don't see any problems. You might want to restart you allergy regimen.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Last contacted 1 month ago

Don't Sneeze or Blow Nose After Rhinoplasty

Blowing your nose or sneezing during the first few weeks after rhinoplasty could cause bleeding and/or swelling. You can learn to cough and sneeze with an open mouth, which can relieve some of the pressure and minimize the risk for side effects. Talk to your allergist to see if you can find a way to better control your symptoms after your procedure so that you can avoid blowing your nose. Also do let your facial plastic surgeon know what medications you are on, as they could affect the degree of bleeding, swelling, etc. I hope this helps.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 7 hours ago

Can I sneeze or blow nose after Rhinoplasty

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and I ask all my Rhinoplasty patients not to blow their noses for at least 6 months.  You can't help sneezing...just be sure to lkeep your mouth open during the sneeze to limit the pressure build up inside the nose.  Blowing the nose requires you to squeeze the nasal tip that could rupture sutures and damage the nose.  Ask your Rhinoplasty surgeon about taking allergy medications to help you through this.

Last contacted 9 hours ago

Sneezing after rhinoplasty

I usually tell patients to sneeze through their mouth for the first few weeks after surgery. The force through the nose initially after surgery, may cause bleeding.

Last contacted 12 hours ago

Rhinoplasty and coughing

After rhinoplasty you need to avoid things that with stir up bleeding and cause complications.  Anything that raises blood pressure can do this and particularly sneezing and coughing.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 1 day ago

Sneezing after rhinoplasty - nose job

Depending on how much work is done on your septum and turbinates, avoiding significant nose blowing, snorting, and even breathing through your nose will help with the healing process.  If you need to sneeze, do so through your mouth.  Increase pressure or dry air passing through your nose can lead to a nose bleed post operatively.  Good luck.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 21 hours ago