How long after a tummy tuck until my stomach feels normal again?

When will all the numbness be gone? When will the tightness ease up so I don't feel like I have a tight girdle around my lower abdomen?

Numbness in the lower portion of the skin flap can improve but ultimately the very end of the flap may stay numb. Please follow up with your doctor as these issues require the attention of a plastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Numbness after tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for the questions.  Numbness can linger for many months after surgery, sometimes the sensation does not fully return.  Only time will tell, so be patient.  The tightness will loosen gradually & you will not feel like you have a girdle on after a while.  Please keep all of your appointments with your surgeon to monitor your progress.  Good luck & congratulations on your new abdomen!

Sincerely,

Dr. Michelle Spring

What to expect after a tummy tuck

includes numbness from your belly button down in the shape of a triangle but the tightness will continue to diminish with time as your tissues stretch more.  Your surgeon should be able to confirm this for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

How Long Until Tummy Feels Normal

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen . It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

If you find yourself concerned about your healing, then it would be best to visit your surgeon for an examination. they will be able to tell you best about how well you are healing and estimate how long it will last. Good luck

Back to normal after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question about tummy tuck healing.

• There is lots of variation but usually the first two weeks are worst.
  • Then the next month, things improve - but slowly for some people.
  • Numbness goes when all the swelling is gone and that can take six months to 18 months during which time things slowly improve.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD