Lasix to help with tummy tuck swelling on a patient with high blood pressure? (Photo)

im 5 weeks post op tummy tuck and "swell hell" is real! Especially the more active I am. I also have high blood pressure and currently take amlodipine- controlled with systolic in the 120s but DIastolic still in the 90s. I'm a nurse on a very busy and short staffed labor and delivery unit working 12 hour shifts and heavy lifting is expected. I'm worried about the swelling will worsen once I return to my duties at work. Should I ask my Docs about switch me from amlodipine to lasix ?

Lasix for swelling?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately, lasix doesn't help much for swelling that is surgical in nature.  It would simply draw fluid from the intravascular space, leaving you dehydrated - but wouldn't do much for the swollen area.  So, keep with your current BP meds.  Follow up with your surgeon to make sure you don't have a seroma.

Tummy tuck - will medicines help my swelling?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• You are right to be concerned about your blood pressure -
  • It may or may not be related to fluid retention after surgery.
  • I suggest you ask your blood pressure doctors to do whatever is needed to control your BP.
  • Lasix may help the BP  - it is unlikely to make much difference in the surgical area.
  • This swelling is related to healing and hard to modify.
  • If they try Lasix - when you use it the first time, do so before returning to work or over a weekend because if can dehydrate you and make it hard to do your very demanding job.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Treating Tummy Tuck Swelling With Lasix

Treating your chronic cardiovascular disease trumps changing your medication regimen for an acute issue. Lasix wouldn't work how you wanted it to anyway in this situation. Swelling from a tummy tuck is acute and expected. It will get better as time goes on with stabilization around 6-month mark and continued improvement possibly up to 1 year. Allow yourself adequate recovery time or you may be headed for a revision surgery. Prolonged swelling can lead to skin stretch! Instead of asking your doctors to switch your medication, ask your plastic surgeon for a letter for more time off to appropriately convalesce or to modify your work duties. Best of luck!

Dr. O-G

No lasix for post-op swelling

Lasix will dehydrate you and won't alleviate postoperative swelling.  That's not what Lasix is meant for anyway.  Please see your primary care physician regarding your persistent hypertension, which isn't well-controlled on amlodipine right now, it seems.

Hang in there--the swelling does get better with time!

Dr. K

Carmen Kavali, MD

Lasix to help with tummy tuck swelling on a patient with high blood pressure?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your swelling and blood pressure difficulties.  Though you may wish to refine your medications with your cardiologist or internist I would advocate sticking with the medications that have worked best for you instead of altering them for what is a temporary recovery situation.  Swelling can be better treated with use of a compression garment at little overall risk to you and your health where medication like Lasix may lead to secondary problems - dehydration, renal failure, etc.  Hope this helps.