How Rough is the Pain from the Gastric Sleeve?

Quick recovery

Patients that have had this procedure done have told me that the first 12 hours after surgery they feel pain either on their back, shoulders or in their chest, as time progresses they no longer feel pain and just discomfort or soreness. Since the sleeve gastrectomy is performed laporscopically it is minimally invasive which typically has you discharged from the hospital the next day. I have patients back in my office 5 days post-op. Recovery is quick and patients are back to their daily routines by 2 weeks.

Dominican Republic Bariatric Surgeon

Recovery after Gastric Sleeve

On average, patients will spend the night in the hospital after a gastric sleeve. Typically, the following day, patients will be discharged and seen in the office for a 2-week post-op. It is up to the surgeons preference, however, typically patients can drive in 3 to 4 days, lift up to 30 - 40 pounds and perform typical day-to-day activities.

Ricardo M. Bonnor, MD, FACS
Houston General Surgeon

Not too much pain after sleeve gastrectomy

Pain after sleeve gastrectomy isn't much of an issue.  Many patients have shoulder and back pain that they say is worse than the abdominal pain.  This goes away in the first day or 2 after surgery.  Patients say that it feels more like soreness than pain; like they did 100 sit-ups.  After the first 3 days very few patients take the narcotic pain medications.

Mark Pleatman, MD
Bloomfield Hills Bariatric Surgeon

Pain after sleeve gastrectomy

The sleeve gastrectomy is done laparoscopically using 5 or 6 small incisions.  The pain from this procedure is on the order of doing too many situps with your personal trainer- more a level of soreness that true pain.  Most patients use a mild narcotic pain medication for 2-3 days then switch to tylenol.