Am I stuck with duck lips after a combo of the vermillion border, and actual lip injections? (Photo)

Hi, I had my vermillion border filled a week ago instead of the actual lip part. I have never gotten my lips filled before, and the Dr. assured me this was the way to go. I could see no difference after the procedure. So, a few days later I went back and got Restalyne injected in red part of lip. It's been 3 1/2 days and I look like a duck. Will this go away without vitrase? And if not, am I able to get vitrase injected only in vermillion border? Thanks in advance!

What to do about the "duck lips" caused by Restylane injections

Thank you for sharing your good question. There are a couple of methods for treating duck lips (Hyaluronidase to dissolve and filler injections above the lip to blend skin with lip), but at 3 days nothing should be done. You probably have significant swelling. Often lips swell more than any other parts of the face that get Restylane injections. Try cold compresses and wait 2 more weeks to judge results. Good luck.

Duck lips

Lips generally hold on to some degree of swelling for a couple of weeks, and it may take 6-8 weeks until they feel completely normal again. You can limit your salt intake to help the swelling go down faster. If after a few weeks you are still concerned, you could have some filler injected into the white part above the lip. This may help to create a smoother flow to the lip

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Duck Lips and Swelling

I would definitely wait two weeks to see if you still have swelling or if it is the product that is causing the problem.  Best, Dr. Green

#ducklips and filler

In short you are very swollen for up to 2 weeks after lip filler. Do not rush any judgment before this period of time. Be well, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Early days for Restylane injections in the vermillion.

Lips are notorious for swelling following HA injections with Restylane or Juvederm. It can take up to one week before settling down. 

The great thing about HA fillers such as Restylane is that Hyaluronidase can remove excessive filler if needed. 

all the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Swelling will subside

At this point it is too early to tell.  The swelling should resolve over a week or two.  Hyaluronidase can melt the filler away but I think it would be premature to do that now.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

Duck lips

Significant swelling after lip injection is common and should go away within days.  Since you were injected with a proper material there should be no problem. Just be sure you are seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

The edema of the lips can take up to one week to 10 days. you need to be more patient.

Please, be patient and let the swelling resolve prior to judge the area. The lips get swollen very much and the edema can last up to 10 days. If the lips, after the 10 days, is still swollen, go to your doctor and make sure they know your concern. The treatment is to use Hylenex or something similar product to dissolve the HA. .

"Duck lips"

The injection of too much filler in a broad fashion in the border between the lip and the skin (vermillion) can create a shelfing of the upper lip that people commonly refer to as "duck lips."  Filler placed in the correct fashion in this area can accentuate the lip border.  However, after lip filling, there is generally swelling that lasts a few days to a week.  This swelling can be reduced by applying cold compresses to the area after the treatments.  It is best to wait at least 10-14 days to evaluate the full effect from filler including the potential for being overfilled.  Thankfully, vitrase or other hyaluronidase can be used to reduce Restylane or other hyaluronic acid fillers within a day.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Am I stuck with duck lips?

I tell all my patients to give it at least two weeks for any filler to fully settle and for swelling and bruising to go away. Any concerns that persist after two weeks can be addressed then. Patience is a friend, in this case.

Dr. K

Carmen Kavali, MD