Is feeling bumps in upper lip after Restylane injection normal?

I had Restylane injected in my lips 2 days ago. The swelling and bruising has subsided quite a bit, but I can still feel 2 bumps on each side of my upper lip. They look fine and don't hurt, just feels very strange. Will this go away?

It is quite common to feel bumps in the lips following lip injections.

It is quite common to feel bumps in the lips following lip injections. These often will go away on their own within a week or two. If they do not resolve after four weeks, dissolving them with hyaluronidase is an option if it really bothers you. You say they look fine though, so dissolving should only be done if the lumps are bothersome to you. In the meantime, be patient and enjoy your results.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Feeling bumps in lips 2 days after Restylane injections

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Yes, it is not unusual to feel the bumps in your lips 2 days after receiving Restylane injections. The area will likely smooth out without massaging or doing any other treatment.
Good luck,

Give Yourself More Time

Thanks for your question. Two days after an injectable treatment is still rather early in the overall scheme of things. I wouldn't worry too much about lumps at your injection sites, as these will likely disappear over the course of the next few days as the HA integrates with the body.However, if they get worse or persist longer than 2 weeks, contact your doctor to get to the bottom of your reaction. Good luck!

Theresa M. Jarmuz, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps After Fillers -- Not Normal After 1-2 Weeks

Please see your physician if this persists beyond 2 weeks.  If it does, you should consider reversing the filler.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Bumps in lips after Restylane

If it has only been a couple days since your injection, I would certainly not worry about small bumps that you feel right now. These will likely smooth out within the next few weeks. If they are still present after about a month, I would return to your injector to see if they can be dissolved. This is really only if they bother you. If you are happy with the appearance and the bumps are not visible, I would just leave it alone unless there is any pain or other problems.

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumps after Restylane in the lips

Palpable lumps or bumps are very common in the first few days after filler injection.  These usually subside over a period of 1-2 weeks and are related to swelling around the product.  If these bumps are visible or remain enlarged, a follow up should be done in order to see if the filler needs to be reduced with hyaluronidase.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane for lips

It can take about two weeks for any bruising and swelling to resolve after Restylane injections.  It is possible to feel some bumps but they should not be visible.  If they are, please return to your physician for adjustment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Bumps after restylane

Restylane can cause bumps in a few ways. It can be a small bruise, it can be a filler that was not massaged in, or it can be a reactive salivary gland as well. Best to see your injector.

Yes, common to feel Restylane

My rule is this ' its normal to feel fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm, but it is not  normal to SEE filler'.
It is almost universal to feel fillers, especially in the lip. This sensation may take a few weeks to get use to. You can massage the area to dissipate the lump. 2 days is usually the time of maximal inflammation, rest assured this will settle down in the next week. 

all the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Restylane and Lumps

It is quite common to have small lumps that you can feel but are not visible.  See if you can massage the lumps but I would not be too concerned about them.  If they continue to bother you and don't go away you should consult your treating physician for examination.  Best, Dr. Green