Treating natural frown? (photo)

My lips have always been naturally downturned. It has always bothered me very much, but recently I heard there are ways to treat it such as using fillers. My lips are already quite full and I'm happy with them other than the droop corners so I don't want to affect anything else too much. What are my options and what are the risks and recovery time?

Down turned corners of mouth usually just need a little filler.

Filling in a little bit just on the down turned corners of the mouth with radiesse, juvederm or restylane can help make happy appearance.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating natural frown - Fillers vs. Botox vs. Surgery?

Hello badskinfrownyface - Thanks for your question. The corners of the mouth will change shape and position over time due to soft-tissue and skeletal changes around the mouth with ageing. Injectable fillers are a common treatment to lift the corners of the mouth. Botox injections into the DAO muscle can help lift the corners of the mouth. Lip lift surgery places small incisions into the corner of the mouth to tighten lifting muscles and reorient the angle of the mouth. Each option is fairly low risk but the surgery leaves a small scar that fades with time or may need coverup makeup to camouflage. Fillers and Botox are temporary solutions but have a better risk profile. Recovery from Filler and Botox is very quick. Surgery may have a downtime of up to 1 week while sutures are in. I would recommend that you consult with a facial surgery specialist in person to see which option best fits for you. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon