How can I make my smile even after Bells Palsy? (photos)

I had Bell's palsy when I was 13, and then again when I was 16. The only issue I have with it is my uneven smile. Is there any way that I can even out my smile, procedure wise?

Lip lift after bells palsy

Thank you for asking about your lip lift and Bell's palsy.
  • A one-sided lip lift might be helpful.
  • But you need a careful examination before anything is done.
  • In addition to the slight asymmetry when your smile shows your teeth, the nostril on that side is much higher.
  • It isn't clear if this is from muscle pull or underlying anatomy - so please have a consultation with a thorough plastic surgeon before any treatment.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Uneven smile after Bell's palsy

I can see the asymmetry you are concerned with. I would not recommend a surgical procedure as you have a significant amount of facial movement that would be put at risk with surgery. Your concerns would be best addressed by selective chemodenervation (Botox, Xeomin, Dysport) of some of the muscles causing the asymmetry. This office procedure can significantly improve the asymmetry and does not involve any long-term risk to the movement you have now. I recommend seeking consultation with a surgeon who has a special interest in facial paralysis.
Good luck!!

Bradford A. Bader, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon