Does a lip lift cause chin strain? (photos)

Hi, I'm considering a lip lift with fat graft. My lips close perfectly. When my mouth is at rest, you see my bottom teeth and a 'bit' of my upper teeth. If I had a lip lift, would I still be able to close my mouth comfortably without making my chin look wrinkled/strained (I think is called Mentalis Muscle Strain)?

Easy answer: no.

Hi Shelly8,

We would not expect any chin strain from a lip lift.  I do these procedures every week, commonly in the office under local anesthesia, and we've never had that problem.  Find an experienced surgeon and you'll be in good hands.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip lift - will it cause muscle strain

Thank you for asking about your lip lift.

• Your lip lift will be fine if it is not done too aggressively -
  • A rough guide is to keep the lip longer than 1.1 cm and reduce it no more than 25% of its length.
  • Even  if it is too short, it will not cause mentalis strain - it can, if made to short, expose the inner wet lip or expose the upper teeth too much or give an unnatural look to the mouth.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lip Lift

A lip lift should not induce a mentalis muscle strain. With a lip lift the actual lower edge of the upper lip does not move that much upward. It moves far less than the actual amount of skin removed.