How to Get Rid off Bruises Under my Eyes After Rhinoplasty

Initially I had severe bruises after surgery 3 month ago which are improving but very slow and currently there is some broun ares with semicircular shape of my previous bruises What can I do to make them go away fast

Bruises on lower eyelids 3 months after Rhinoplasty

Bruising is caused by blood that percolates into the tissues during Rhinoplasty, or any surgery.  Blood has red cells which have hemosiderin pigment in their hemoglobin.  Bruises can stain the skin when this hemosiderin pigment has been deposited and the stains can outlast the normal heling time of any bruise.  In some cases the staining is permanent, luckily this is a relatively rare event.  I have performed Rhinoplasty and revision Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and have never seen a permanent stain, even though they are reported in the literature.

IMHO, Arnica is for acute bruises and while it won't hurt, I don't believe that it will speed up removal of the pigment.  You could ask your surgeon about a short course of Retin A that increases the speed, at which the skin cells turn over forcing newer cells to the skin's surface which could theoretically get rid of the pigment within these skin cells more quickly.

Eyelid Bruising After Rhinoplasty

It’s not unusual for patients to experience bruising following rhinoplasty surgery. When the nasal bones are fractured, it’s not unusual for the bruising to include the eyelids. In most cases bruising resolves in 2-4 weeks following surgery. Unfortunately when discoloration lasts for longer periods of time, other explanations are more likely

Under these circumstances hemosiderin desposition may be a more likely explanation. This problem occurs when patients experience bleeding following rhinoplasty surgery. This can result in red blood cells permeating the soft tissue in the involved area. Over the course of time these red blood cells and their hemoglobin are broken down and degraded. One of their byproducts is hemosiderin.

Hemosiderin can stain the soft tissue. Although this staining isn’t permanent it can take years to breakdown, resolve and disappear. Unfortunately there’s no treatment that can accelerate the process. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tips to Reduce Brusing After Your Rhinoplasty

Bruising, like swelling, is a very common side effect of undergoing a nose job. Unfortunately, my best advice would be to just be patient with your body’s healing process and to let the bruising run its course. Like you said, the bruising will go down over time. Arnic gel application and oral arnica intake before and after surgery has been known to reduce bruising. You should also avoid medications that can increase bleeding time, such as aspirin and Motrin. Applying cover-up or concealer to the region can also be an effective way to hide the remaining bruising. Also, try avoiding touching the bruising and any other such contact as much as possible and avoid smoking cigarettes if you can. 

Sam Rizk, MD

Talk to your surgeon

Please talk to your surgeon for advice on how to deal with your bruises. Some things, like not smoking, not touching your nose, and following your surgeon's post-op instructions closely help greatly.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Bruising after rhinoplasty - nose job

Bruising around the eyes after rhinoplasty can occur but should be minimal.  Avoiding aspirin, ibuprofen, alcohol, and certain vitamins/herbal remedies prior to rhinoplasty surgery will help prevent bruising.  Arnica Montana has been shown in some studies to help prevent bruising if taken before and after nose surgery.  You can also try Arnica Montana gel which may also help with bruising.  Lastly, cold compresses do help for the first 3-4 days and then warm compresses may help with the discoloration afterwards.  

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising

Only time will allow it to be totally gone as your body slowly resorbs it. Some patients find Auriderm post op gel very helpful as well as arnica.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruises after rhinoplasty

I have seeb bruising as long as six months. This probavly hemosiderin pigment. Gentle heat and perhaps arnica wiil.  Time cures all things

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Blepharoplasty bruising treatment.

Only time will help for the very last bit to go away. The hemosiderin is the pigment that is there as the blood is broken down. A good make up artist can help greatly.