Will Rhinoplasty Affect my Singing?

To correct deviated septum, will it effect a person singing?

Be very careful having Rhinoplasty if you're a singer.

Yes, it sure could affect your voice.  Changing the airflow through your nose by doing a Septoplasty could very well change the nasal quality of your voice, changing its quality and character.  The mere fact of having a surgery and intubation tube placed between your vocal cords could also change your voice.  IMHO, you should have a medic alert bracelet that says use LMA, not endotracheal tube for intubation and you should ask for this if you decide to have your Rhinoplasty.  I have done Rhinoplasty on singers over my 20 + year career but I would never promise them that their voice may not be affected.  If it helps you, it never did to any extent but it is a possibility.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Rhinoplasty and singing

The nasal voice will change slightly depending upon how severe the deviation of the nasal septum is.  There will be more resonance to the voice and the voice will actually be quite nicer after the procedure is performed and after the swelling has subsided.  A septoplasty will affect the nasal voice more than a rhinoplasty.  The rhinoplasty will not affect the voice appreciably.

Rhinoplasty and singing

Singing After Septoplasty

Although it’s unlikely, it’s definitely possible for septoplasty surgery to effect a patients singing voice.  Septoplasty can potentially increase the flow of air through the nose during speech and singing.  This increased air flow can alter the dynamics of singing and articulation.  For the average person this wouldn’t be noticeable.  In a professional singer the difference might be significant.

In addition, placement of an endotracheal tube during surgery could potentially damage the vocal cords.  For this reason, the approach to anesthesia should be carefully scrutinized in a professional singer.

If you’re a singer and considering septoplasty surgery it’s important that you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to discuss your concerns and potential for this type of problem.

Singing After Septoplasty

Rhinoplasty Affects Voice Only Slightly

Unless you are in the habit of vibrating mostly in your nasal bones when you sing, rhinoplasty should not alter your voice appreciably. If anything, your voice should sound clearer and, as you might imagine, less “nasally” as the passageway that is now being inhibited by the deviation will be clear. This is an issue you should bring up in your consultation with a facial plastic surgeon, as the answer depends partly on your anatomy and what needs to be done. I hope this helps.

Rhinoplasty Affects Voice Only Slightly

Singing Post-Rhinoplasty

Anything is technically “possible” after a rhinoplasty, including a slight variation in your voice. However, the chances of your septoplasty affecting your singing voice are slight and, in my experience as a plastic surgeon, have never been a problem for my past patients. It seems as though this is an important factor in your decision, so I would highly recommend discussing this question with your surgeon. 

Sam Rizk, MD

Singing Post-Rhinoplasty

Sam Rizk, MD

Will Rhinoplasty Affect Singing?

It's possible but doesn't usually create a problem. I discuss this with all my patients. In my experience over a number of years, including operating on vocalists, I have not had one tell me that their voice was adversely affected. If you are a highly paid professional singer, I would recommend more than one surgical opinion because I do think that it is possible for the resonance of the voice to be affected to some small degree and this might not be something you want to risk.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Will Rhinoplasty Affect Singing?

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

"Will Rhinoplasty Effect My Singing Voice?"

Hi Maly,

Just ask Barbara Streisand, Asheley Tisdale, or listen to the late Michael Jackson.  Repair of a deviated septum and/or rhinoplasty should not affect your singing.  At least it hasn't in the professional singers that I have treated.  Do choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi Maly,

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Singing and Nasal Surgery

The answer to your question depends on you to a certain degree.

While septoplasty or rhinoplasty will typically affect your nasal resonance, the change is often imperceptable to others. If a change were to occur, most singers feel that it is a positive one. Having more air flow through the nose tends to open up the resonance, reduce effort, and can help with upper register as well.

HOWEVER, if you are known for having a voice with a more closed nasal resonance, then the surgery may cause problems. The only way to recreate your previous sound would be to use your palate differently and close up the nasopharynx again. This usually takes some time and lots of work with your coach and may never fully recreate your preoperative sound.

So it depends on you. Hope this helps

Best of Luck

Singing and Nasal Surgery

So it depends on you. Hope this helps

Best of Luck

Rhinoplasty - singing voice

There is always a possibility that your singing voice could change, but it is very unlikely. In my practice I have yet to have a patient with this complaint afterwards.

Rhinoplasty - singing voice

Effect of Septoplasty on Singing Voice

It is extremely unlikely that a septoplasty will change our singing voice.  The only exception would be in a singer with a very nasal quality to their voice.

Effect of Septoplasty on Singing Voice