How would rhinoplasty look on a black male?

I know that a lot of AA noses tend to have a sort of swooped bridge with a wide tip. But my nose has a very romanesque, humped prominent bridge with a broad nasal tip as well. My nostrils are thick and my tip spreads when I smile. The cartilage in the tip of my nose also feels very bumpy and malformed; complete with creases as well, as if i have been pressing it in an upward manner. I don't want these things to be like this but don't know how a nose job would look or turn out

African American rhinoplasty

It was a good idea to have very clear and specific expectations regarding your rhinoplasty procedure. Look for surgeon with lots of experience in rhinoplasty for best results. Virtual rhinoplasty software is available on the link below along with our photo gallery, to give you an idea what can be accomplished with the rhinoplasty procedure

For African-American rhinoplasty, look for an experienced specialist

Many Black males have rhinoplasty and are satisfied with the results. A properly trained and experienced rhinoplasty specialist should be able to come up with a surgical plan that addresses your concerns yet maintains your own masculine look. It's very important that you find a facial plastic surgeon who has experience in African-American rhinoplasty and who can show you before and after pictures of patients with similar ethnic backgrounds and the outcomes achieved. You should also be very specific about what you want during the consultation, as each person has different tastes, and the surgeon can give you advice on the options available to you. Clinics that have a VECTRA 3D imaging system enable you to preview what you will look like as the result of a rhinoplasty because they can simulate the expected results.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

African American Nose

AA noses usually fall into a category of platyrrhine or flattened nasal shape. In order to have shape to the nose you have to have strong architecture. Therefore these noses need cartilage grafts or implants to give them shape and to look thinner

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic Noses

For any surgery, it is important to be examined by a well trained doctor who is very familiar with nasal anatomy. The surgery will change the foundation of the nose with the idea that the skin will drape over a new framework that is in proportion to the rest of your face. I have been using image technology that usually gives you an idea of what is possible. However, these software programs do NOT guarantee that your nose will come out the way it was depicted in the imaged study. Different ethnic noses have to be treated differently. It requires art and science.

Theodore Diktaban, MD, FACS

Many African American men get rhinoplasty surgery and are happy with the result. There is no reason you could not be one them by choosing your surgeon wisely.

It sounds like you are unsure of exactly what you want changed and are afraid of losing any masculine features. You need to have a frank open discussion with your surgeon as to what bothers you and what you want changed. Then you need to go over the options available to you before you pick any specific options. Computer imaging of an after surgery result will likely make you more at ease going forward with surgery and also help you choose which options you want performed at surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

What you described can frequently be cosmetically improved with a rhinoplasty no matter what one's ethnic background. A natural appearing result should be in harmony with you other facial features.

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure with you may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Individual to individual difference are far more variable than differences from one ethnicity to another. There is not a standard African American rhinoplasty, and I think you can likely resolve a lot of your concerns by meeting for consultation.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.