How to Repairs my Hallow/sunken Eyes? (photo)

my eyes are so hollowed. i've turn 20 and look like in my 40s. i hate this look. i've got exam coming up and i can't focus on it due to my look. i am so embarrassed to go outside or even face my friend. i hate my face. people tell me to be happy but i can't even after trying so hard because i keep worrying. i tried all home rem ides to solve it. i do have 7.5 to 8 hours sleep. i drink lots water. i think this could be genetic but i really want way out of this problem. please give me some advice.

Under eye hollowness

This is a great question, and one that is commonly asked and sought out in consultation. That hollow area beneath your eye, near your nose, is called a nasojugal groove or a "tear trough." They can often extend laterally, toward your temples and the outside of your eye, as an orbitomalar groove. This can become more prominent with age, but often do exist in younger patients with a genetic predisposition. The underlying cause is often both soft tissue and bone related.

Fortunately, there are good options for correction. In the past, implants in this area had been very popular, but the current trend in cosmetics is that implants are being replaced with fillers that have significantly longer durations and better outcomes. Fillers have the main benefits of very little risk when compared with the surgical procedure of an implant and the long-term complications that all too often force those implants to get removed. Fillers also cost a fraction as much.

You may hear a debate from some surgeons about fat transfer versus fillers, but the reality is that fat transfer is unpredictable, even in the best hands. Hyaluronic acid fillers provide a very consistent volume and result. Newer fillers last significantly longer, with very high patient satisfaction when used in this area.

Seek out a consultation from somebody with experience. Read: beware, not everybody has the knowledge and skill set necessary to deal with this area. All too often I am dissolving filler from other injectors who have chosen the wrong product or the wrong patient to inject in the periorbital area. The ability to be dissolved is another benefit of filler in this area, as it can often be sculpted and corrected to achieve the natural appearance desired.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Under Eye Fillers

Thank you for posting your photo. You will be a great candidate for fillers to the tear trough area. I prefer to use an HA filler like Belotero for this area as it is less hydrophilic (attracts less water), and also it tends to cause less of that bluish discoloration (Tyndal effect) associated with other fillers when they area placed too superficial.

Filler or implants.

OK, this is difficult. You only have two real choices that work. Sunken eyes can be genetic, and worsened with age as the orbital rim recesses and bone structures change with age. 

The best solution to give dramatic changes are implants suited to your contours. Hands down for this procedure. 

The second solution are fillers to both the tear troughs and beyond *malar areas/ cheek areas. Fillers in this area are tricky to perform as the filler need to lay on your bone (safety), additionally cheek fillers can blend in the fillers from your troughs. Technically challenging but possible. Expect only a 40-50% correction with fillers. They last 9-14 months. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Facial Implants to Correct Hollow/Sunken Eyes

Your eyes are deep set, but you also have what is known as a tear trough deformity.  This can be corrected by one of two mechanisms.  You also have flat Malar eminences (cheek bones).  A combination of silicone cheek implants and silicone tear trough implants could change your hollow eyes to haunting eyes.  

As an alternative, injectable fillers can accomplish the same correction.  This is much cheaper and gives you the idea of what can be done. 

A Board Certified Plastic  Surgeon experienced in facial implants and tissue fillers would be the correct person to see to start you on your road to greater self esteem.

Hollow Eyes

Thanks for your question.  Sorry to hear that this is such a concern for you.  However, I have seen thousands of patients with cosmetic concerns and rarely is the problem nearly as bad as people tend to think.  In other words, other people rarely care about how one looks nearly as much as we care about how we look ourselves.  Of course, I don’t know you, but is it possible that you are suffering from some depression?  As I am sure you know, depression is very common, and when a person has it, their problems always seem much worse.  Having said that, your hollowness could probably be made much better with some filler like Restylane or Voluma.  Of course to get the best advice you should see a cosmetic surgeon with experience in these types of treatments   Hope this helps.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

What can I do for the dark sunken circles under my eyes?

This is a very common question in my practice. The area under the eyes provides a very unique challenge. Your hollow sunken look is coming from several different factors. Primarily, you have fat loss on the upper and lower lids (on the side closest to your nose). This is causing contour irregularity and shadowing. Also, you have a "purple" color to the skin around the lids. The cause for this is complex and is usually inherited.  For the hollowing and fat loss, I recommend hyaluronic acid filler. It's important to see an experienced injector with a very good understanding of both the product being used and the anatomy. I routinely use Restylane and Belotero under the eyes. Rarely I will also use Juvederm Voluma, but only in rare cases. The discoloration is more difficult to treat, but adding a layer of filler just underneath the skin (usually a thin filler like Belotero) as well as treating the skin (certain lasers have shown some benefit) can improve this issue.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Possible Treatment for Hollowed / Deep Set Eyes

From the photographs, it appears that your eyelids are slightly hollowed / deep set. This may be improved with fat injections, other fillers or silicone cheek implants. It also looks like you have darkness to your eyelid skin. A bleaching cream and some lasers may help with the discoloration. The results can vary, so you should have an evaluation with an Oculoplastic Surgeon who can better judge your issue and provide you with an individualized treatment plan. I hope you find this helpful.

Hollow under eyes

Great question and one that is commonly asked. you appear to have volume loss under your eyes in the tear trough area- so my common treatment approach to this area is fillers. 

You have two options for fillers, one is a temporary injectable- I commonly use Belotero injections in this area (please see my before and after pictures under belotero)- which gives natural results lasting 3-6 months. 

Your other option is fat transfer to the area, which also produces natural long lasting results when done well. (Refer to my before and after pictures for fat transfer). Hope this helps. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Options for Under-Eye Bags

I'm sad to hear that you don't like your appearance. You have beautiful eyes. We find that injectable fillers are extremely popular for those not yet ready for blepharoplasty (corrective eye surgery). I personally recommend Teosyal Redensity II for the tear trough area. It helps address dark circles and deep hollows under the eyes. My patients have loved the results achieved with Teosyal Redensity II injections. Restylane is also a good option.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Undereye bag treatments for young patients

Thank you for the question and the photo. In younger patients, it is best to try non-surgical treatments first. Typically this involves fillers (Restylane or Belotero in my practice), in addition to medical grade skin care. That said, there are some patients who have significant under eye fat, and techniques to camouflage just make it look worse. In these cases, a conservative amount of fat removal can be performed via an incision inside the eyelid. For patients with a tear trough deformity, the fat closest to the nose can be transposed to (i.e., used to fill in) the hollow area.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon