I'm only 15 and my eyes are uneven. when i take a picture my right eye is farther up then my left one. What can I do? (photo)

 Will my eyes even out or will they stay like this?

Doctor Answers 4

Orbit [eye socket] asymmetry

Hi John

Your photo is quite helpful, and I agree with your assessment. It is unlikely that without any intervention, things will even out.

But first things first: you need to get an evaluation by an Oculoplastics and Orbital surgeon.

In Ohio, there are some excellent Oculoplastics/Orbital surgeons. Two that come to mind are Dr Jeff Nerad and Dr. Jill Foster.

I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website, but the two mentioned above would be at the top of my list.

Good luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Uneven eyes - orbits (eye sockets)

Hi John,

It appears that you have uneven orbits (bony eye sockets) which result in uneven eyes. It could be congenital (born with) or developmental (after birth).  You should consult an orbital surgeon (or oculoplastic surgeon).


Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 74 reviews

Uneven eyes in 15 year old

  Hello.  And thank you for submitting the photo with your question.  It is most helpful.

  I agree with you.  I do think the eyes appear uneven, although it is my guess that this is more noticed by you than by anyone else.  However, without seeing you in person, taking a history, and doing additional tests, it is hard to give good advice about the best treatment for you. You might want to see a doctor from the ASOPRS website for the best advice for this condition.  Good luck.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 134 reviews

Uneven eyes

Hi John.  You are correct, your right eye is set somewhat deeper than the left.  This happens when the bony sockets around two eyeballs are different in size or asymmetric.  Unfortunately, this is not an easy problem to correct, but there are some options which may range from corrective surgery to possibly injecting a filler material (most commonly fat) behind the depressed eyeball to make it come forward.  You would need to speak with either an occuloplastic surgeon or a craniofacial specialist to discuss these options in more detail.  Good luck.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.