What Can Be Done to Reduce Swelling and Lumps After Lower Facelift and Platysmaplasty?

I had a lower facelift and platysmaplasy 9 weeks ago and still have swelling,numbness and lumps. Can I use ice and heat alternately? Can is use Bromelain and Arnica again to help? Is there something else I can do or take? Thank you for any advice that will help.

Be patient.

The numbness, firmness and irregularity usually resolve in about six months. Gentle message is what I recommend to my patients. If the scar under the chin is thick, I have my patients use Scar Recovery Gel by Skinmedica. It is messaged into the scar twice a day and I've seen nice results with that.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Be patient.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and numbness associated with lower facelift surgery

Dear Lower Facelift Patient from New Jersey,
Healing process varies person to person. As swelling subsides after any facelift surgery, sensory nerves begin to function, therefore numbness will subside. Nine weeks post op majority of swelling associated with facelift surgery should subsided, and the remaining will resolve over next few months. Massage and external ultrasonic treatments are good options. Good luck and good healing.

Treatment of lumps and swelling in face

At nine weeks having some swelling and some lumpiness is not that unusual. This usually gets better with time, but massage may help.

Treatment of lumps and swelling in face

Swelling and lumps after facelift

Thank you for your question for sharing your concerns with us. Swelling and lumps in the tissues will return to normal as time passes by. Between the first and second week, much of your swelling and bruising will dissipate. It may take more than a month or two for your tissues to fully soften and any residual swelling to resolve, but in some cases it may take longer. Lymphatic massage maybe an option to help clear the swelling and firmness at a faster pace. I would make sure that you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon during this period of time.

Swelling and lumps after facelift

Smoothing lower facelift results 9 weeks after surgery

About 2 months out from surgery. Ice and heat would not be effective. Bromelain and Arnica are also outside the window of effectiveness 2 months out. I do believe massage and moisturizers are effective in positively impacting results. If the lumps are sutures, these should disappear within a month and will respond to moisture and massage. If it is 4 months and you still have lumps and irregularities, you should discuss with your surgeon what he/she thinks is going on and what can be done. If you are not satisfied with the response and you are concerned, seek a second opinion. Best of luck!

Face lift

Exxternal ultrasound, and massage can help the lumpiness and swelling after face lift.

External ultrasound is the most effective treatment

Face lift

Swelling and Lumps Post Facelift

The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. #Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). Some degree of firmness or lumpiness under the skin is normal after surgery and will resolve with time. Local #massage of the areas may accelerate the resolution of this problem, which normally takes 2-4 months to disappear completely.

The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply. The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Swelling and Lumps Post Facelift

Treatments for post op edema

I write about this a lot on here as this is a very common problem. We are working on a publication to support my claims but a salt restricted diet (less than 1000mg/day for two weeks) makes a big difference in my patients. 

It is safe, and likely more healthy than the general diet most of us eat anyways. Salt leads to water retention which can worsen edema and swelling. You should contact your surgeon about the other questions above as they may have specifications that they are particular to depending on what exactly was done. 

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatments for post op edema

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

After the face lifting operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Swelling and Lumps After a Facelift or Neck Lift

While swelling and lumps are not unusual after a facelift, they should be settling down after 9 weeks. If you do see any change at all in the last couple of weeks you should see your surgeon.  Heat, cold, arnica and bromelian will not help at this stage. but gentle massage will.  Your problems are all scar related under the skin and massage will help to soften this and break it up.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.