How to get rid of a purple scar on my nose from a nose piercing I had over 5 years ago? (Photo)

I have a purple scar on my nose from a nose piercing I had over 5 years ago. I got an infection and it never healed back to normal. What can I do to get a rid of it or fade it? I had someone suggest tattoo lazer removal, V beam, and IPL. What would be the best treatment for me?

Spot on Nose -- Use Pico or Q Switched Laser

This is likely pigmentation and would need resurfacing or pigmented laser treatment, please speak to a well trained laser physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Piercing Scar

Hi Catlover.  This type of scar is caused by oxidation of the metal under the surface of the skin.  It's likely that the piercing was a metal that turned a greenish color while you had the piercing.  A V-Beam and IPL will not work (we have both) but a q-switched tattoo laser would normally get rid of this type of scar in 1 or 2 treatments.  

To see a case very similar to yours where we removed the pigment in one treatment, please click on the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Purple Scar and V-Beam

The V-Beam is the best way to generally treat this type of scar.  It may take several sessions to restore the color back to normal.  Best, Dr. Green