A Question About Sliding Genioplasty?

I am interested in possibly undergoing sliding genioplasty in order to have a more projected chin. I am aware of the titanium plate utilized to hold the two segments of the mandible in place, which I understand eventually fuse once again in a matter of months, correct? Nonetheless, although I have read it is not necessary to remove the titanium plate eventually, can it be removed per the patient's request?

Removing plate after sliding genioplasty

Although it's not standard to remove the plate after sliding genioplasty, it should be possible to do in a staged manner once your bone segments have healed back together.

You can read more about sliding genioplasty at my web reference link below.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Removal of Fixation Plate After Sliding Genioplasty

Certainly the titanium step plate can be removed after a sliding genioplasty. But I would wait a full six months after surgery before doing so to let the advanced bone segment fully heal.