I was wondering if the thermi smooth procedure can be done over dermal fillers?

I have restylane in the tear troughs, and was considering having thermi smooth done under the eyes. Will it affect the restylane, or can the restylane interfere with the thermi smooth treatment itself? Thank you.

ThermiSmooth + Dermal Fillers: Precautions to Take

Dr. Edward Dickerson describes what precautions should be taken when combining ThermiSmooth treatments with dermal fillers.

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

A great answer for your great question!

The presence of Restylane has not been demonstrated to negatively affect the results ThermiSmooth
treatment. However, the ThermiSmooth procedure could theoretically dissolve Restylane and therefore, I recommend that you wait at least
two weeks before or after having fillers to have the ThermiSmooth treatment.

Camille Cash, MD

#ThermiSmooth is great for refining skin

4-6 Treatments done two weeks apart can tighten and improve fine lines.  adding BBL fotofacials and fillers will give you the best result along with retin A  and other skin care.

ThermiSmooth over dermal fillers

It can be done over dermal fillers like Juvederm and Restylane. I would not recommend it be done simultaneously in the event that there is a reaction. However, there is no contraindication for someone that has existing dermal filler in their face. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

ThermiSmooth and Fillers

Yes, ThermiSmooth can be used over your fillers like Restylane or Juvederm and probably will not cause it to go away faster though studies will have to be done to verify this is the case. The reason for this is that the skin surface is heated with the RF whereas the fillers are injected more deeply.  In response to RF induced heat at the skin surface the collagen in skin shrinks when heated to a sustained temperatures greater than 40°C. When the skin is heated to this level, this creates a physiologic process that stimulates fibroblasts to produce new collagen over time.

Thermi smooth may or may not interrupt your dermal fillers.

Thermi smooth may or may not interrupt your dermal fillers. I recommend returning to your injector and discuss the treatment, as they will have a better idea of where the product is and where you will want thermi smooth. 

All the Best. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

There are other treatments that work well around the eyes with less risk than Thermi.

While Thermi can be done around the eyes, there are other very good treatments such as EndyMed, Fraxel, Erbium Laser Resufacing, Thermage, etc.  that can be done around the eyes without affecting the filler and with much less risk. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes, Thermismooth can affect Restylane in tear troughs if done around the eyes

Thermismooth,  Thermage, Exilis, Venus Freeze all work by heating the skin to an unknown depth. They will all tell you that they are precise but they are not. Penetration of the heat is so variable and depends on hydration, skin thickness,  amount of collagen amongst other variables. They not only can affect filler but also fat. The only RF devices that are predictable as far as depth goes are the fractional microneedling devices of which Infini is the standout. I speak about Infini and am very familiar with the RF technologies. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon