Still draining serous fluid from incision week 11. (photo)

I developed a small hematoma 2 weeks my ventral hernia repair, MR, tummy tuck, no lipo. was manually expressed. Continue to drain serous fluid ever since from 2 spots in incision. At 2 week, 4 week, and 8 week, ps said it will stop @ 8 weeks. Going on 12. It's usually just a pin head spot on dressing of yellow, last night blood.Also today the one spot that's been closed for 3 weeks is draining yellow fluid again! I'm So over this! Is this normal?? He keeps saying he's not worried but I am

#Tummytuck #plasticsurgery #abdominoplasty

Hello Monarch mama,   thank you for your excellent question. Congratulations on your recent surgery. Your photos are very helpful, however without the benefit of knowing your full health history and an in person exam it's impossible to say for certain. Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you.  If you decide to seek a second opinion, consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in person, preferably one who has these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol
*A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol
*A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle  Hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best. Kind regards, Brian Coan, MD, FACS  CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Still draining?

There is a tendency for such delayed healing in combination surgery like hernia repair and tummy tuck.  This is not unusual..annoying to have to deal with yes...unusual no.  Hang in there and keep close touch with your plastic surgeon.  This will heal.Good luck.Dr Vasisht

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.I am sorry to hear about your prolonged drainage. If your surgeon doesn’t seem concerned about it then I would try not to worry about it either. I know it may seem like an inconvenience, but as long as the drainage amount is getting better over time and not worse then it’s just your body’s recovery process, some people heal quicker than others. If the drainage gets worse or you develop signs of an infection such as greenish/yellowish puss, foul odor, fever or skin is hot to touch, then I would contact your surgeon immediately for a physical examination and culture of the fluid to test for bacteria present and get you on medication to treat it.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your continued draining. I would voice your concerns to your surgeon to have a thorough in-person examination performed.  After an appropriate diagnosis is made - such as a retained fluid collection or suture related issue - treatment to finally heal your wounds can be pursued.