I am 4 wks post tummy tuck. My pubic mound is swollen. Will icing it help?

My pubic mound area gets really swollen and is painful when sitting due to the binder pushing on it. It was not originally swollen when i had the drains in. The swelling goes down some what at night but gets pretty swollen during the day. I am worried this up and down swelling is going to stretch it out. Will icing it help or should i not? Should i get some sort of compression garment instead of the binder? I am 4 wks post op. Thank you!

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.I would recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon but swelling is completely normal and will continue to resolve over the next 4-6 months. You can perform daily lymphatic drainage massages and switch to a compression garment if your doctor clears you to do so. Continue to follow your surgeon’s aftercare instructions and you should notice your results begin to refine and swelling should dissipate leaving you with your true result.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and swelling of the mons

Thank you for your question.  It is normal for you to still have some swelling coming and going at this point after your surgery.  As my colleges have mentioned lymphatic drainage massage is a great idea and may give you some relief. Switching to a different compression garment instead of wearing a binder may also help with the problem of swelling in the mons area.  It does take several months before you will see your final result so try to be patient.  Make sure to follow up with your surgeon for regular visits.
Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Swelling of the mons

is common after a tummy tuck and if you wish to attempt things to help prevent it, switching to a girdle like compression garment would be better than the binder as it won't choke off the tissue just above the mons.  As mentioned by another doctor, lymphatic massage can be beneficial as well.  Most of my patient simply give it time and it will eventually diminish and go away.  Icing will not help at this point but if it feels better, there is no harm to doing it.

Curtis Wong, MD

1 month post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (1 month post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I am 4 wks post tummy tuck. My pubic mound is swollen. Will icing it help

Swelling post tummy tuck surgery is expected and last for several months. Gravity is pulling everything down towards your pubic area, and that is very common. Ice may help some but honestly, you just have to wait it out. It will be more swollen at the end of the day after being up and about all day. Just be patient and continue wearing some sort of abdominal compression garment as instructed by your surgeon. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

4 weeks post TT and pubic swelling

Thanks for your question.  Swelling at this point around the surgical site is common and can last 3-6 months.  The best way to approach your question is to call your doctors office and follow their post operative protocol recommendations. Best of luck. 

4 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck, Mons Pubis Swollen - What Can I Do?

I'm not a big fan of binders.  They tend to ride up, tend to have uneven pressures, and from your comments, it appears that your binder edge is digging into your mons pubis causing a decrease in blood flow to the mons, especially when you sit.  This mechanical interruption of blood supply leads to inflammation, and then excessive swelling.
If you were my patient, I would tell you to lose the binder.  At four weeks, it has been my experience that pressure garments of any kind are more of a humbug than they are worth.  
Normal post tummy tuck swelling occurs above the suture line and not below it, therefore there is probably some mechanical problem causing your mons pubis swelling.  In my practice, we use DMSO post operative to decrease swelling and bruising.  DMSO is the best anti inflammatory agent ever.  Ultrasound (the kind physical therapists use for sore muscles) will also decrease swelling by bringing blood supply to the area which then allows the white blood cells to carry away dead and/or injured tissue and dead fat cells which are causing the inflammation.  
Obviously, since you are not my patient, it would be appropriate to call your personal plastic surgeon and ask his or her advice.

Intermittent Swelling

You are only 4 weeks postop, so you are going to swell from day to day for awhile.  If the binder isn't compressing the pubic area (I'm sure it isn't), you may benefit from a compression girdle.  Discuss this with your surgeon.  But the intermittent swelling will get better with time.  Ice won't help at this late date; it's good for the first 24 hours to minimize swelling. Best of luck.

George H. Pope, MD