Will hirudoid cream dissolve Juvederm Voluma?

I had Juvederm Voluma injected under my tear troughs/cheeks. I had significant bruising as expected and have been using hirudoid cream at night only to speed up the healing. Will the hirudoid cream affect my results/dissolve the filler?

Dissolving Voluma

Voluma is a hyaluronic acid gel filler and can only be dissolved by hyaluronidase and your body metabolizes it over time. Hyaluronidase is injected where the product is injected in order to dissolve it. A topical cream will not dissolve the product.

Dissovling voluma

Thank you for your question. Creams typically are not used to dissolve fillers. They can help to reduce swelling and bruising. I would return to your injector who can assess you and possibly mold the product into a better position. If it does need to be dissolved, this can be done using a special enzyme called hyaluronidase. This would require a very experienced injector to get a good result.

Bumps

Try massaging the area for a week or two. If the bumps are still there after that, have your practitioner inject the enzyme to dissolve the product. That cream won't dissolve it.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Go Ahead With The Cream

I agree with the previous response.  But I would make a suggestion.  I don't know what's in the cream you are using, but it sounds like leech stuff.   We have had really great results with Arnica gel which is very inexpensive and helps heal bruising quickly.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Will Hirudoid Cream Dissolve Juvederm Voluma?

Thanks for your question. Juvederm Voluma is a hyaluronic acid (HA) filler and thus can only really be dissolved by the enzyme hyaluronidase. This enzyme has to be injected into the area where the filler was placed (usually deep) to dissolve the product. So with a topical cream, the absorption and depth of penetration should not affect the results or dissolve the filler.

Hope this helps!

Creams and affecting Fillers

Voluma is a great product and gives immediate lift to the mid face providing beautiful lasting facial contours.  If you are bruised creams like Arnica will help the bruising go away faster. It is best to take Arnica pills a few days before to minimize bruising.  Creams will not dissolve a deep injection like Voluma.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with cosmetic injections.

Creams and Dissolving Voluma

Voluma should be injected with a cannula to the under eye to limit large amounts and to prevent bruising and swelling.  Creams cannot dissolve voluma.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Topicals creams or ointments will not affect fillers

The penetration of topicals is very little. They can reach deep enough to affect injected fillers. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Hirudoid cream and fillers

Hirudoid cream is not something we use in the U.S. but it is a topical product that helps with bruising and hematomas (supposedly). It is merely a topical agent so it will not affect your fillers.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

I am not entirely familiar with hirudoid cream, but it should not penetrate to the depth of where the Voluma is so it should not affect your result.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon