Can I Personally Remove Gynecomastia Liquid Built Up in my Chest 4 Years After Surgery?

Its been about 4 years since I had the surgery. There is still some liquid build up in a little pocket under my skin. I've gotten it taken out before by a doctor but a little still remained. Can I do it myself with a suringe?

Doctor Answers 7

Best to Consult your Physician or Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Being it's four years following your #gynecomastia surgery and you are concerned about the end-result or #complications, it is highly advised you contact your plastic surgeon. She or he can better advise you on how to proceed and correct the problem if feasible.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

DIY Not the Way to Go

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Ben4211,

Thanks for the post. I highly discourage you from trying to aspirate the fluid yourself. You can risk infection, bleeding, or injury to deeper structures. I recommend you go back to the doctor for re-evaluation and possible treatment. It should be performed by a professional.


Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Fluid after Gynecomastia Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

No you should not aspirate the fluid yourself.

Follow-up with your plastic surgeon;  you may require more than simple aspiration given your history.

Best wishes.

Seroma fluid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Never ever try to remove seroma fluid on  your own!. This could lead to a major infection, bleeding, skin loss, even a pneumothorax if you are not careful. Only allow your doctor to treat this.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Can I Personally Remove Gynecomastia Liquid Built Up in my Chest 4 Years After Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

NO! You should NEVER self treat. Best to be under the care of a doctor/surgeon. At least discuss with the medical professional your plans in person. 

Not a good ideal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Four years after fluid should not accumulate.,  If so, then, you have a capsule around t5he fluid that maybe need to be excised. You should consult with you plasrtic surgeon.

Miguel Delgado, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 81 reviews

Gynecomastia Fluid Buildup After Four Years ??

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

At four years after your gynecomastia surgery, you most certainly do not have fluid in the original excision pocket. That would have long ago been resorbed and/or converted to scar tissue. It may feel like fluid but I can not imagine that it would be at this point. That being said, if you want to aspirate the area it should be done by a doctor with aseptic technique. This is a not an at home treatment.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.