Massive Scarring After Gynecomastia Surgery, What Can I Do?

hello.around 2 weeks ago i had gynecomastia surgery in the uk, it was done under the national health service.before the surgery the surgoen marked me up and told me he would make a small incision under both nipples to remove the tumours.however after the bandages were removed it seems like he has cut all around my nipples and all across the chest.the chest looks worse than it was.is there anything that can be done, i dont know what to do, i feel more depressed now than ever. please advise.

Massive Scarring After Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,   5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting.

Scarring After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi jack o neil,

Thank you for the post. Sorry to hear of your situation. However, it would be helpful if you had attached a photo so I could assess the incision location.  Incision placement is something that I discuss in detail with patients. That being said, at 2 weeks you are still very early in the healing process. I would address these concerns with your surgeon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Scarring after surgery

I'm sorry to hear about the scarring. It will get better within a year or so, as long as you follow the care instructions given to you by your surgeon. The scars should turn into faint thin lines. Avoid sun exposure in the meantime. In a couple of weeks you can start applying silicone cream or silicone sheeting that may help.

After a couple of months, you can consider laser treatments that may help reduce scarring. 

Unfortunately, scars are permanent.  However, scars do fade over time.  There are creams and laser treatments that can diminish the appearance.  Communicate your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Scar treatments

I suggest you wait to see if your scars improve with time, and if they don't and you still feel uncomfortable with them, you can consider scar revision surgery. Youc an also try scar treatments like silicone gel, which you can start doing once the incisions have healed and they aren't scabbing or crusting over. Best of luck.

Scarring after Gynecomastia Surgery?

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the gynecomastia surgery;  obviously there was a miscommunication between you and the surgeon.

Time tends to improve the appearance of scars. You will find that the scars will improve in appearance even after a year has gone by.

Sometimes the use of silicone-based products may be helpful. In the event of unfavorable scarring steroid injection may be helpful. The use of superficial radiation treatment is possible for symptomatic scars.  Sometimes scar revision surgery and careful scar management afterwards may be helpful. Despite anecdotal reports I have not seen significant improvement with laser treatment of scars.

Chest scars from gynecomastia

Make sure you are doing everything you can to help the healing process like massaging the scars with vitamin E, fish oil, coco butter and any other scar ointment available. Its always good to mix up the creams and massage at leats 3 to 4 times per day. Another technique is to use silicone gel sheeting. You can obtain this over the internet. After 9 months, if the scar still does not make you happy, then go see a private plastic surgeon for a possible revision. It will get better.

Dr. Sean Lille

Sean T. Lille, MD

Poor Gynecomastia Incision Placement and Scarring

Once the incisions/scars go outside of the areolas, the scarring is never favorable. However, it is early and the the scars will look better with time. Whether they will be improved enough to your satisfaction remains to be seen. You need to wait at least six months before making a final assessment of the scar's appearance. If necessary, scar revision could be helpful for further scar reduction.

There should be minimal scarring after gynecomastia surgery.

Hi

Here's my advice.  Try not to think about your chest for six months, and then go see a private plastic surgeon.  The scars will get less noticeable with time, and they may be improved with a revision.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Gynecomastia - scarring

hi jack, if the scars are hypertrophic you may want to try silicone gel/sheeting. your surgeon will be able to evaluate if you would be a candidate for kenalog injections. the appearance of scars will change and usually improve with time. scar maturation  takes up to 1 year. hope this helps. kind regards

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon