How Long could Teenage Boys Suffer from Male Boobs, when Should Surgery Be Considered?

When do most hormones balance for teenage boys and the breasts recede? When would be the earliest age that a teenager could have a male breast reduction? In which cases would surgery be a recommended alternative?

If it hasn't improved after 18 months when it started consider evaluation

The most common cause of gynecomastia is residual fullness after puberty. In about 15-20 percent of young men the fullness persists into adulthood. The problem with gynecomastia is that it gets into your head and plays games with your mind. This could negatively impact your personality. If others are mocking your, making fun of you, bullying you because of your chest I would strongly recommend a visit with your doctor for his/her opinion. If it were my son, I would take care of it sooner than later.

Teenager Gynecomastia

Up to 2/3 of boys going through #puberty develop some form of #gynecomastia. This form of gynecomastia is due to the surges in testosterone and estrogen which often lead to an imbalance of the testosterone:estrogen ratio.  In up to 75% of boys who develop pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 2 years. In 90% of boys with pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 3 years.

While there is no “youngest age” to undergo #gynecomastia surgery, many #boardcertified #plasticsurgeons make sure that teenage patients have had gynecomastia for at least two years and have no other identifiable causes for their gynecomastia.

Age for male breast reduction

Ideally, gynecomastia surgery is delayed until full development, around age 18 after adolescent hormonal influenced breast development ceases. Sometimes it will resolve to a degree afterwards. Also if your child is overweight, often the breasts will diminish with weight loss once in the normal range. However I have operated on several adolescent males to develop gynecomastia for those stigmatized and traumatized by the size of his breasts in severe cases with good results. Yes it is possible they will grow again and another procedure may be required for best results, Discuss the risk vs benefits with your board certified plastic surgeon that has experience in this age group.

Teenage Gynecomastia

Hi,

Thanks for the post.  It is not uncommon for teenage boys going through puberty to experience some increase in breast size. Some studies state up to 60% of boys can experience some changes to their breasts during puberty. In a vast majority of these boys, it completely resolves in 2 or 3 years. If it persists longer than that, then I recommend being evaluated. This involves a history and physical exam and possibly blood tests to check hormone levels. If there is no underlying cause, then at that point one may be a candidate for surgery.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Gynecomastia in teenage boys

Your body continues to develop through adolescence, and most boys find that their gynecomastia corrects itself of its own. A boy with gynecomastia should first try to lose weight by going on a healthy diet and exercise regimen. This helps improve the chest contour. If after losing weight their chest is still not aesthetically pleasing, surgery can then be considered once another medical condition has been ruled out.

Teenage Boys with Gynecomastia or Man Boobs

I am the father of two sons and I would not want them to suffer with this condition.

No one knows exactly why gynecomastia is so prevalent today. There are many theories as to why gynecomastia is so prevalent, including exposure to chemicals and hormones in food and the environment. The first step for teenagers should be to get them at or near an ideal healthy weight. A parent might even consider an organic diet free of hormones to see if that might make a difference. If weight loss, fitness and a "clean die"t doesn't improve the situation, a family might consider surgery even before the age of eighteen.

It is important to know that in teens, sometimes the gynecomastia will resolve itself with time. In other cases, even after a surgical procedure, there is a possibility that teens my develop more gynecomastia.  If my boys were faced with this issue,and they wanted surgery to correct the problem, I would certainly consider surgery while they are teens.

If a teenage boy wants this procedures and parents are supportive of this idea, it is important to find a skilled, experienced plastic surgeon who has a history of leaving scars that are invisible or close to invisible. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

In my practice, I usually ask teenage patients with gynecomastia to wait until 17-18 years old to undergo gynecomastia reduction surgery.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon 

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Treatment for Boys with Male Boobs

For a high percentage of boys the growth of male breast tissue seems to occur between the ages of 10 to 13 years. It  is triggered by an imbalance of estrogen and testosterone. For most boys, the condition will resolve itself on reaching adulthood. But for approximately 5% it never diminishes, leaving surgery as the only option. It is best to be evaluated by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia to determine when or if surgery is recommended.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Gynecomastia surgery for teenagers

It is best to wait until your growth is complete (16-17 years old). However, most boys do not want to wait that long. If you do a male breast reduction before your growth is complete, your breasts may continue to grow. It is best you consult a certified plastic surgeon so they can evaluate you and guide you to decide what option is best for you. Regards. 

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD, FRCSC
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Male Breast Enlargement in Teenagers

It is very common for teenage boys to have transient swelling of their "breast" tissue as they are at the end of puiberty.  When adult leevels of testosterone are achieved the swelling usually goes away.  If the enlargement lasts for more than one year it is likely to be permanent and will need surgery to correct.  The age of having adult levels of testosterone will vary , but it is good to be patient for one year to see if the enlargemnt will disappear without a surgery.

Mary Lee Peters, MD