Who Can Perform an Ear Surgery?

I was wondering, who is allowed to perform an ear, nose and throat surgery on children? Can a General Pediatric Surgeon perform such procedures?

Doctor Answers 11

Qualifications to perform otoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Board certified plastic surgeons and ENT surgeons perform otoplasties. Pediatric surgeons are the equivalent of general surgeons but in the pediatric population.

An ENT with pediatric experience is best

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

An ENT (ear, nose, throat doctor) with pediatric experience is best.  Make sure he is board-certified Otolaryngologist and not just calling himself a 'cosmetic surgeon'

Babak Larian, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon

Who can do Otoplasty Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would ask that you make sure your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon or a board certified ENT doctor. In addition to the board certification, you need to make sure they have lots of experience with this type of surgery. Ask to see photos and also speak with other patients who have had the procedure performed.  I agree that doing some research re: hospital privileges will possibly prevent you from going with a non-qualified surgeon and taking additional risk.

Otoplasty Surgeons

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A well trained Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon, ENT, or Plastic Surgeon should have experience in Otoplasty. Contact your pediatrician for a recommendation. Best of luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 112 reviews

Who can perform otoplasty surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Both board certified ENT and plastic surgeons can perform these surgeries, but check with your local hospital to make sure they have privileges to do so. Also, make sure he/she does a lot of of them. I would say more than 15-20/ year is a lot.

Good luck.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Pediatric otolaryngologist perform ear surgery for children

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most ear, nose, and throat doctors (otolaryngologist) have done ear surgery on children. A pediatric otolaryngologist or facial plastic surgeon can also perform these types of procedures. Look for someone who has performed many of the ear procedure that you are requiring to have done.  

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

A board certified plastic surgeon or a board certified facial plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You need to see a board certified plastic surgeon or a board certified ENT surgeon with experience in this kind of surgeries (Board certified facial plastic surgeon). There are many so call "cosmetic" surgeons that will probably tell you that there are qualified for these kind of procedure, however the only board in plastic surgery recognized by the american board of medical specialties (ABMS) is the American board of plastic surgery. The american Board of Facial Plastic surgery is also recognized as a subspecialty of ENT by the ABMS.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Ear pinning surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best way to know if your surgeon is qualified to do a procedure is to see if they have hospital privileges to do the same procedure. Hospitals check board certification, peer evaluations, surgical case experience logs, and disciplinary actions prior to granting privileges. This is the first step. Next I would question the surgeons experience and ask if they have other patients who are willing to share their experience.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 58 reviews

Pediatric Ear Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It truly depends on the type of procedure needed.  For most procedures in the head and neck region, a board certified Otolaryngologist (head and neck surgeon) who is fellowship trained in pediatric Otolaryngology is your best bet.  These surgeons exclusively deals with issues in this region, and only deal with the pediatric population.  In some institutions pediatric otolaryngologists are not available, and general pediatric surgeons provide the surgical coverage for head and neck procedures.  If these individuals have much experience in the head and neck they should be able to help you as well.  Good Luck, Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Ear, Nose and Throat surgery and Children

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The answer to your question depends on the type of surgery that you are considering. There are general issues that can involve the head and neck that are easily managed by multiple surgical specialties as part of their training. There are other, more specific, procedures that are emphasized in each specialty. It is reasonable to review the type of surgery that is being considered with your physician and even a subspecialist.

Be healthy and be well,
James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 98 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.