Will Voluma make face rounder?

I am considering Voluma to help with my deepened laugh lines and down turn mouth. Would that make my chubby round face even chubbier and rounder?

Voluma Question

Thank you for your question! Voluma is a facial filler that is indicated for lifting and volumizing areas of depletion (typically in the cheekbones). Fillers do not necessarily add volume to the whole face, but rather the specific areas being treated. When voluma is placed correctly it helps create a more "chiseled" cheek bone, not a fuller face. To be fully assessed and discuss your specific areas of concern, schedule an appointment with a board certified facial plastic surgeon's office (physician, nurse, physician asst) and see what is recommended for you. Be well!

Dr. Todd Hobgood, MD.

Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma will not make your face look rounder

Voluma (or any filler for that matter) will not make your face look rounder. It comes down to simple quality and quantity. For quality, go to someone who knows where to inject it properly, be wary of bottom dollar pricing. Ask for other patient testimonials and photos.
For quantity, there is really no way to make your face look chubbier unless you use a crazy number of syringes. Most people use 1-8 syringes of filler (1cc/syringe). While that can seem like a lot, I can tell you that when plastic surgeons perform fat grafting, we routinely engraft 15-50cc of fat around the face, customized to th patient's needs. That many syringes of filler is cost prohibitive for something temporary. 
Finally, I inject fillers with a mirror in the client's hand. We inject a small amount and you check the result. When you think it is enough, we stop. With that much control, no way to achieve a look that you do not desire. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Voluma, if used correctly, will make the face appear more oval and youthful

Patients often worry that fillers will make their faces rounder.  The effect of fillers depends on how they are used.  A skilled injector needs to be able to 1) assess your needs and 2) create a plan that will give you a good result.  The variability among skill levels is dramatic, so make sure you go to someone with experience.  

My goal is to make your face look younger, while retaining a natural appearance.  In a patient that is showing signs of aging, achieving this goal often depends on creating a more oval shape.  

A youthful face is a series of unbroken curves:  the curve from the forehead down to the cheekbone, the curve of the cheek, the curve of the jaw.  In the aging face, the curves are disrupted, with areas of fullness (jowls, nasolabial folds, under-eye bags) interrupted by areas of loss (marionette lines, tear troughs).  

A skilled injector can use fillers to lift the face creating more volume on the top half.  We also aim to soften the transitions between areas of fullness and areas of loss.  The goal is to create a surface that reflects light (and decreases shadows).  At the same time, we must keep in mind that the skull is shrinking while the envelope of the skin is enlarging.  The goal of softening folds and wrinkles has to be secondary to maintaining a natural appearance.  We have other tools in addition to Voluma to help us get the effect that we desire: energy-based devices such as ultherapy to tighten the skin and underlying layers; sculptra is a wonderful product that helps rebuild the foundation of the face.  

Thanks so much for your question! The great thing about injectable fillers is that when used properly, they help restore the three-dimensional quality that many patients feel is minimized over time. Voluma in particular is a product that is injected into the deepest planes of the midface and helps to bring back volume loss. It’s important to understand that Voluma does restore volume (think three-dimensional space) which means that it won’t necessarily make your face look “rounder” in a two dimensional sense. It’s important to see a board certified physician who has a lot of experience using Voluma to ensure that you get the best possible result. It is always my goal to restore a heart shaped appearance to the face and therefore expertise in aesthetics and artistic ability to inject in the right location is very important. I recommend scheduling a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist who can assess you and determine if Voluma is the most beneficial product to address your concerns.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

Fillers can be used to sculpt faces, voluma has the ability to lift and volumize so it should be placed properly.  I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Voluma designed for lifting tissues

Hi, I just added a link that might be helpful...

Hi haremom. Voluma will provide a lifted look, not necessarily rounder/chubbier.  Strategic placement of the product combined with accurate facial analysis is the key, so be sure to seek an expert injector.  Voluma was designed to support tissues so placement on the cheekbone is very useful-there are many other fillers that work well in the laugh lines and mouth area where lifting is not possible (only filling). Good luck!

No, Voluma does not make your face rounder

Voluma is a long lasting (2 years) hyaluronic acid filler that is extremely versatile.  Depending on the location it is placed on the cheek, it can make the cheekbones look more pronounced resulting in a "thinner looking face".  A different location on the cheekbone, can soften a sharp jutting out cheekbone, causing a softening effect; while both will lift.   Different points along the cheekbone will pull slightly on different places on the nasolabial fold and turned down angles of the mouth.  There are other strategic injection points that can be used.   Your result is solely dependent on the expertise of your injector.  I would recommend you find an experienced Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon with expertise in facial fillers to consult with.  

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Will Voluma make my face look chubby?

This is not a filler related issue, it is an injector related issue. You need to discuss with your injector what you would like and not like before getting injected. A fat rounded face is possible with any filler, not just Voluma and is solely related to where and how much of the filler is place.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Chubby From Voluma

Voluma will not make your face look chubby.  The lift occurs from the inside.  That's part of the beauty of Voluma.  You get a facial lift without looking like a chipmunk.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist