Crepey skin in upper outer eyelid skin

I'm 47 years-old and have crepey skin in the upper outer eyelid. I've already had a blepharoplasty and this helped with the sagging skin overlying the eyeball but the crepeyness remains. I've noticed that when I put my finger on my temple, the crepey skin smooths away so was wondering if fillers on the temple or botox would help? Also, if I go with a laser treatment, which laser is best for skin around the eyes? Thank you for your expertise.

Crepey skin

Crepe-like skin of the eyelids is a common problem and may be related to aging changes and mechanical stress on the skin. Women get into problems with mechanical damage to the skin when rubbing, applying makeup, removing makeup, contact allergies sometimes associated with makeup, and other substances reaching the eyelids by way of the hands. There is another problem - after maximal skin removal with blepharoplasty, if more skin is removed, the thin skin of the pretarsal lid will be in direct relationship with the thicker skin under the brow. This contrast in skin texture and quality can be very striking (unattractive). Brow lift may take care of the residual excess depending on your brow location... Laser resurfacing may improve the quality of the skin by tightening and inducing collagen. My preference is MiXto CO2 fractional ablative laser resurfacing, but there are others. Best wishes with your decisions.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

What to do for crepe upper outer eyelid skin?

Surgery will remove sagging skin but does nothing to change the texture of the remaining skin. Laser, radio frequency, chemical peel and various skin treatments will improve the skin texture to varying degrees. Specifically the more aggressive the treatment the more dramatic the improvement. CO2 ablative laser and deep phenol peels are traditional treatments that are very aggressive but remain the gold standard for the results with the greatest improvement.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crepey upper lids

I think you have several options. One, maybe more skin could have been removed on the outer part of your eyelid during your blepharoplasty. Second, filler to the brow and / or temple may be the answer. Third, a laser resurfacing can definitely improve the quality of the eyelid skin. I prefer the erbium laser by Sciton. It can create amazing wrinkle reduction without the negative side effects of a CO2 laser.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crepey skin in the outer eyelid after blepharoplasty?

I would need to see photographs or better yet an in person examination to give a proper answer. Very often the patient needs a vertical forehad lift. If one has a lateral brow lift it tends to make patients look evil. See a very experienced brow lift surgeon who can advise you about vertical brow lifting procedures,  endoscopic if you were hairline is low, ITF lift if your hairline is high. 

Crepey skin treatment

Without seeing the skin, it is not easy to comment. I've found CO2 laser to be very helpful on fine wrinkles around the eyes. It doesn't need to be aggressive laser as the skin is so thin, and tends to heal very nicely.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Creepy skin

Thank you for the question but an examination is needed to determine what procedure would be best for you.  So go on some complimentary consultations with experts in your area and become informed

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Lateral brow lift to help skin in outer eye area

The problem is likely NOT your eyelid, but rather your EYEBROW.  The outer tale of the eyebrows fall, creating the effect you are noticing. You may benefit from lateral brow lift. See following link for more details and video on a special pretrichial technique done under local anesthesia.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Crepey skin upper outer eyelid area

Good question.  The area you mention is a concern for many people.  It is difficult to make recommendations without photos.  Having said that, there are various options you mentioned and some you did not mention.    Lastly there are surgical options that address this area.  

George Orloff, MD, FACS
Burbank Plastic Surgeon

Sometimes what can be done with the finger is difficult to accomplish.

A photograph would be very helpful but ultimately there is no substitute for a personal consultation. There are many options including fillers and botox.  This can be very powerful non-surgical options.  

Treatment of crepey skin

If you are seeking a laser treatment peri-orbital CO2 is very effective in treating lines around the eyes.  Other options include Microneedling with PRP and/or Ultherapy.  Any of these is best combined with regular Botox injections.  An in person consultation can help determine what treatments are best for you.  

David Stoker, MD