Is it safe to have fat transfer under the eyes?

I was wondering if fat is a good idea under the eyes. And how can lumps be avoided?

Fat Transfer Under Eyes

Fat transfer is more popular now than ever before for good reasons.  In trained and experienced hands, fat injected in and around the eyes can have excellent results.  Fat can have excellent long term results which you can't get with other injectables which are not as permanent.

Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer under the eyrs

I routinely perform this... Being an oculoplastic surgeon, I have a very intimate knowledge of the eye anatomy, and as such, have performed hundreds of these procedures. Please exercise caution with who you have perform this, because I have also repaired countless mis-placed fat transfer attempts in this area. It is a very delicate area and the fat MUST be placed in the correct surgical planes. Hope this helps!!!!

Roger Bassin, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat transfer under the eyes

Fat transfer is frequently performed under the eyes and, when done safely and by an experienced plastic surgeon, it can achieve beautiful results. The microfat injection technique is preferred here to minimize the risk of lumpiness. However, you may also want to consider injectable fillers, such as Teosyal Redensity II.

Fat transfer under the eyes.

Thank you for a great question and for sharing your concerns. Fat transfer can be done to address hollowing under the eye.  Fat transfer can be technique dependent, and while lumps are possible they are uncommon in experienced hands.  I hope you find this helpful. Best wishes!

Consult with a Board Certified Fellowship Trained Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Fat transfer under eyes

Thanks for your question.  There is some controversy in our community regarding this.  I think most surgeons probably don't actually put the fat into the lower eyelid, but rather place this in the cheek.  Fat under the skin will be visible and fat deeper in the lower eyelids will cause weakening of the deep fat and herniation, making the problem worse.  Best of luck

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer Results Under Eyes

I do this everyday in my practice with great results. you need a formal consultation to determine if it is good for you and I suggest combining with PRP.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Under Eye Fat Injections

Fat injections under the eyes are safe but must be done carefully to avoid irregularities. Nanofat and highly purified and strained fat are keys to good linear flow.

The lower eyelid skin is very thin and delicate.With that said- fat transfer has to be done very carefully as excess fat can leave you with lumps and irregularities. Also, keep in mind that the longevity of fat grafts is unpredictable, and a repeat procedure might be indicated.

Yes- this is a sweet spot for autologous fat

The eyelid – cheek junction is a common place for volume loss to affect facial aesthetics. It is one of the most common areas to become a problem for people in their 30s and 40s. 

Austologous fat transfer can most certainly be performed to this region, and it is one of the most rewarding areas for volume augmentation. Care must be taken to avoid lumpiness which can be achieved by techniques that utilize very small amounts of fat transfers with each pass of the surgeons hand. Also, minimal processing of the fat and avoiding using an automated liposuction machine are other pearls for surgeons who are performing autologous fat transfer to this region. 

Tanuj Nakra, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat transfer under eyes is possible, but proceed with caution

It is certainly possible to perform fat transfer under the eyes, but this must be done with caution as there is little room for error. Techniques such as the nonfat technique, using refined micro droplets of fat are suitable for this area.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD