How many microneedling treatments are equivalent to a fraxel restore or repair treatment?

Hi, I had A super aggressive IPL a few years ago (face was swollen badly for a week) and soon after got facial fat loss and indenting so I'm trying to avoid lasers again but now i have quite a bit of wrinkling around mouth area. Can I do a series of monthly microneedling for a year and if so would that be equivalent to maybe one fraxel laser treatment? Thank you!

Microneedling with PRP or Fraxel

I concur that microneedling should be done in combination with laser resurfacing. The effect of microneedling is increased with PRP or topical recombinant growth factor/serum application.

Dr Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member

Microneedling vs. Fraxel

Hi Lolo.  Fraxel and other fractional resurfacing procedures will not cause facial fat loss (nor IPL) so you would not have to worry about this concern.  

Microneedling does not perform the same function as laser resurfacing.  In a fractional laser resurfacing tissue is ablated (Vaporized) causing the skin to regenerate new tissue.  With microneedling, small holes are poked in the skin, but no tissue is ablated.  For this reason, fractional resurfacing actually removes acne scar tissue and microneedling does not.  

To see before and after photos of laser resurfacing procedures for acne scars, click on the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Microneedling versus Fraxel

There is no comparison between these procedures. I do them together to get even better results and do microneedling between laser treatments for rejuvenation and long term maintenance.  I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist with expertise in combination treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

There are so many variable, including your exceptions, the number of passes that was performed and energy levels of Fraxel Restore - Repair. 

With skin needling this would also depend on other factors such as the depth of needles, the number of passes, the areas treated, and if healing techniques such as micro needling PRP was to be performed at the same time. 

There is new device called INFINI RF- far superior to micro needling alone as it delivers RF energy that is insulated. Downtime only 2 days at maximum. I am starting to combine this with PRP for even better results with a recovery of less than 36 hours. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist