How likely is it that my veneers will come off?

I just got veneers on my front two teeth, not the very front but teeth numbers 7 & 10. I was happy with the results until my doctor instructed me after the procedure that I should always wear a night guard and that I should not bite into things. Is this really the case because especially not being able to bite into foods is really effecting the way I eat and now I'm afraid that if I eat wrong or don't wear a night guard every night they will fall off. Is this the case?

Will #veneers come off? #DrSoftTouch

Porcelain veneers are durable restorations that don’t come off easily or fracture easily if properly bonded and the bite is correct. I tell my patients to treat their veneers like their own teeth.  What will fracture your natural teeth, can fracture your veneers. I hope this helps. Follow me on RealSelf for more questions and answers.

Veneers coming off

The veneers are porcelain restorations that don’t break easily if properly bonded and the bite is correct. You should treat them like your own teeth: what can break your teeth, can break veneers.

Valentina Lyssova, DDS
New York Dentist

Veneers falling off

Veneers that are bonded to enamel are very durable. Eating and biting into most foods should not be a problem. Pizza, corn on the cob, hamburgers are all not a problem. Very sticky foods are a concern. Taffy, power bars, candy apples are all out. As far as the night gaurd is concerned, if your dentist prescribed it, you will need to ask them specifically why they did. Not all patients with veneers require night guards.

Good advice from your dentist

It is not that likely, and your dentist is giving you good advice.  You have to ask yourself some questions. 1. Was the shape and appearance of teeth 7 and 10 affecting your life in a negative way before you got the veneers? (If you had "peg lateral" incisors, this common,congenital,condition is made to look great by conservatively doing just 2 veneers)  2. If you invested in a new set of tires for your car, would you get your car aligned and avoid driving through potholes to protect your investment and prolong the life of them. Your dentist is simply advising you on how to make your investment in your new, improved smile last without any potential problems.  We dentists are obsessed with prevention.  You should be able to bite into most things such as sandwiches, hamburgers normally.  It would be best for you to cut up apples into slices instead biting into a whole one.  Corn on the cob should be cut off of the cob. Bar-b-que ribs may be eaten it they are juicy, but if they are St. Louis style "dry" then you should pull or cut the meat off of the bone first.
In the tire analogy above the Nightguard would be equivalent to the alignment of the car and mindfully eating certain foods would be like avoiding the potholes.  I hope this eases your concerns. Enjoy your new smile and share it with others everyday!

Douglas Jopling, DDS
Dallas TX area