Why do I keep getting capsular contracture in one side?

Why do I keep getting capsular contracture in one side this is my second time getting it and i have to have another surgery next year in march docot is supposed to do something different so a capsule contracture doesn't comeback but why does it keep happening to me

Causes of Capsular Contraction

One of the most common problems is breast #capsular #contracture or the development of thickening, and contracture of the capsule that exists around the breast implants. Severe capsule contracture probably occurs in less than 15% of augmentation patients. Every woman has a breast capsule around their implant and this is a normal phenomenon. The capsule itself could be as thin as Saran Wrap but may also become calcified and thickened. As it thickens and shrinks, the patient may develop a feeling a firmness of the breasts and in its worst situation, the breast may become painful and abnormal in appearance, achieving a very round, hard, and uneven appearance. There may be distortion and possible breakage and leakage of an older implant, but may also include a newer implant. Nicotine users, such as smokers, have up to a 30x increased risk of capsular contracture. The #reason capsular contraction happen is unclear. It's possibly caused by microscopic bacteria on the implant, a   collection of blood after surgery or perhaps it is a tendency for some women to form scar tissue. What we do know is that is cases reported have decreased from 25% to  5-10% or less. One way to attempt the prevention of it is to follow your surgeon's post op instructions as recommended and ask questions of your surgeon when healing concerns arise.

Recurrent Capsular Contracture

Capsular contracture is a result of scarring which tightens the thin connective tissue layer around the implant. Once a capsular contracture has happened, the risk is high that it will recur. There are ways to reduce the risk which are much more involved than simply opening the capsule.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

CC

Thank you for the question but a full history is needed as to what you have had done.  That said once you have develops CC you are at greater risk to develop it again

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD