Is It Possible To Fix An Overcorrected Otoplasty Surgery From 16 Years Ago?

When i was about 7 i did otoplasty on my ears so they did not stick out! The problem is that they are now completely into my head, very flat and a little deformed! There is no clearens from the "earbone" to the outer part! I can form my ear to be perfect with my hand! I was wondering if its possible to re operate so the ears are more bended more out and also so they are not so flat? Is it possible to do something with this? Im 23 years old now

Doctor Answers 12

Otoplasty overcorrection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Over-correction (and under-correction) can unfortunately happen with any cosmetic procedure, otoplasty included. Depending upon how things have healed, revision may or may not be successful. By your description, it sounds like the tissue is supple, which means it may be possible to correct. However, sometimes skin is removed with otoplasty which may make correction difficult.

Whether or not you are a good candidate is best determined by a consultation with a plastic surgeon who can evaluate your case in more detail and perform a physical exam. Best of luck!

Houston Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a good question that addresses an unusual problem (recurrence of ear prominence is more common). it is a good sign that you are able to “form the ear to be perfect” with your hand. This suggests that the ear  is malleable and conducive to surgical correction using techniques of stitch removal and/or cartilage work.

It is in your best interest to be seen by a well-trained/experienced plastic surgeon for direct examination and advice.

Best wishes.

Fixing an overcorrected otoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Great question.  It is definitely possible to reverse an over corrected otoplasty.  In man cases otoplasty is done by the "Mustarde" technique which places a permanent stitch to hold a protruding ear back in a more appropriate position.  If this is the case, it would be possible to remove and replace that stitch in a better position.  It is difficult to tell in photos, but I believe it is possible to correct the position of your ears to somewhere in between where you started and where you are now.  Consult with a facial plastic surgeon who is experienced in otoplasty and ear reconstruction to learn more about the specific approach or procedure that would be best for you.  

Catherine Weng, MD
Denver Otolaryngologist
4.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Repair of Otoplasty overcorrection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As others have stated, this is an uncommon request as most patients are concerned with the ears remaining too prominent after surgery. The situation can likely be improved, but will be highly dependent on a physical exam and probably even the intra-operative findings during the procedure. The amount of skin that is present, the skin laxity, the pliability of the cartilage, and the amount of cartilage that may have been removed are all factors that will contribute to possible improvement.

A facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon specializing in facial aesthetics would be your best option for a consultation to discuss the procedure in detail.

All the best,

Matthew Richardson, MD
Frisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Prominent ear over-correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and for supplying the photos. Over-correction can sometimes occur with any surgical procedure, and otoplasty is no different. It is not possible to say exactly what could be dome to increase the projection of your ears without physically examining you but, generally speaking, if something COULD be done, it would most likely involve taking a block of rib cartilage and using that as a prop the ears out.

Please make an appointment to see a plastic surgeon with experience in ear reconstruction.

I hope this helps.

Over-correct otoplasty. Can a revision otoplasty help?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for sharing your photographs and questions.  It appears that the otoplasty procedure may have resulted in over–correction of the deformity.  Unfortunately, this is a relatively uncommon problem that may occur after any aesthetic surgical procedure.  Whether or not this problem is correctable would rely heavily on a thorough physical examination from an experienced otoplasty surgeon.  I would recommend you consult with a board–certified otolaryngologist, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience with otoplasty surgery, including revision otoplasty.  I hope you find this information helpful.
Good luck,
Dr. Harmych

Brian Harmych, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Otoplasty revision,Dr Nodas Kapositas,M.D,PhD,Athens,Salonika,Greece

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is important to know the two schools of techniques in otoplasty.Generally speaking,one is the cutting and the other the molding.When someone evaluate a revision otoplasty must realize what type of procedure/s had been done in the past and try to find pathways to revise the previous result.Looking at your photos, you have done an otoplasty with a molding technique probably using an aggresive rasping and/or scoring with a blade of your cartilage and suturing with stitches.Also the previous surgeon had removed more skin than necessary and now you have an overcorrected ear.One option is to go back without skin excision release everything and try to unfurl the operated cartilage and probably bridge the gaps with concha cartilage grafts.We have done some similar cases with good results.

Nodas Kapositas, MD, PhD
Greece Plastic Surgeon

Is It Possible To Fix An Overcorrected Otoplasty Surgery From 16 Years Ago?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Interesting problem. It sounds like the sutures may be too tight if you are able to correct your ear position manually. If this is the case then a revision would be fairly straightforward and would involve releasing the existing sutures and replacing them with new ones at a more appropriate tension. There are many techniques for otoplasty however, so without actually seeing the OR report from your surgery or examining you it is tough to give specific advice.

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Secondary Otoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are times where overcorrection occurs.   Depending on that particular patient and the amount of overcorrection, it is often possible to correct the overcorrection.   There are several ways to do this.  Which technique is used is dependent on what is found at the time of surgery.  Often releasing the sutures holding the cartilage together is enough.   Sometimes repositioning cartilage or even taking cartilage grafts can be used.  

Jonathan Berman, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Ear pinning reversal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is NOT a common request, therefore it is not a surgery that is done frequently.

The  options are

1: remove the sutures that were put in the original surgery. There are sutures to create the antihelix and sutures from the ear to the mastoid. Also try to remove all the scar that is present. If the anti helix does not open then a cartilage graft can be put to open the antihelix. If the ear is too close to the head then a cartilagegraft can push the ear forward.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.