How long does Juvederm & Voluma really last?

Last February, I was injected 2 syringes of Voluma to increase and further define the bridge of my nose. The results was nothing less than amazing, but since the procedure was quite pricey, I was wondering if this filler was worth the spending. I believe it is the longevity of this filler that makes it costly with its claim to last up to 2 years, but is it true? Or should I consider a different filler? Thanks:)

Voluma Duration vs. Other Fillers

Hi Valentino.  Great question.  The problem with judging the duration with Voluma is that it is still a new product with less than 6 months on the market in the US.  It is a pricey filler and is typically 50% - 100% more expensive than other Hyaluronic acid based products like Restylane, Juvederm Ultra and Perlane.

At this point, we are not believers in the added cost and here's why.  In the study used to market a 2 year duration, there are a couple key issues that warrant a closer look:

1.  The AVERAGE patient in the study (for the cheeks) had 6.5 CC's (or 6.5 mL's) of the product injected.  At today's market prices in Los Angeles this would be around $4500 - $6000.  Over half the patients had more than 6.5 CC's and some as many as 12 or 13 CC's.  

2.  We disagree with Dr. Soltman below as the number of patients reporting continued improvement at 2 years was only 44%.  In the study sent to us directly from Allergan's medical liaison, patients were judged to be "responders" at 2 years if they graded their improvement of at least 1 on a scale of 6.  This means even for patients that could barely see the product, they were judged to fit in the category of a 2 year duration.  Only 44% responded yes that the product could still be seen even though more than 1/2 of patients had more than 6.5 CC's injected.

We believe that your assessment is right on point that Voluma is not worth the extra expense.  When Restylane and Juvederm were introducted to the market 5-10 years ago, they both claimed an 18 month indication (duration).  Any injector in Los Angeles will tell you this is not what they last and it's typically between 6-12 months.  We believe the same will hold true for Voluma that the actual duration will be about 50% of what is advertised and will come in at around 12 months.

This duration is very similar to Radiesse, which is what we use in bridge of the nose.  With Radiesse, you get 50% more product (1.5 CC) at about 2/3 the price of Voluma.  

So the answer to your question in our eyes, is to stick with the traditional products because we don't think Voluma will double their duration and it may not be worth the additional cost.

Duration of Voluma

You almost have to read the fine print.  The company claim of 2 year duration is based on their study of participants receiving more than 6 syringes AND with touch-ups.  Also, approximately 2/3rd of the participants were SATISFIED at 2 years do not translate into 2/3rd of the participants had palpable products at 2 years.  From my own injection experience, I do think Voluma when placed deep (on top of bone) tends to last longer than other fillers such as Radiesse in the same location.  If you had an amazing result I would still go with Voluma.  I think it's safe to say it can last up to one year but there are always outliers.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm or Voluma-longevity

The company's claims for these products would indicate that Juvederm lasts "up to 12 months" and Voluma "up to two years". This is based on subjective assessment by the patients. However, there is variability depending on the patient's metabolism etc.. It would seem that the larger the accumulation (that is the injection amount within a given area) the longer it lasts up to a certain limit. There is also a study from the University of Michigan indicating that the stretching of the tissue by the injection of filler material induces the formation of collagen within the body which suggests that the longevity would be extended by the build up of collagen. Finally, it is my observation that the most common reason for dissatisfaction following filler material is insufficient filling. Radiesse, a calcium filler material may be appropriate for use around the nose if done with care. It is also my opinion that "permanent" fillers should not be used because of the complications.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Juvederm Volum and Longevity

The studies of Juvederm Voluma showed a two year duration.  However, these initial studies used over 6 syringes of product.  I typically use two syringes per patient of Voluma and 3 if the patient is over 55 and has more volume loss.  I generally see about one year of duration with these fillers.  Voluma is my favorite product for injecting with fabulous natural looking results.  Best, Dr. Green

Longevity of Volume and Juvederm

Thank you for your question. The longevity of fillers may be different for everyone. Everybody is different. Volume may last up to 2 years, where juvederm, which is cheaper, only lasts about 6-12 months. Just make sure you  are injected by a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified 
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

How Long Does Voluma Last

Voluma has been said to last up to 2 years. This can vary greatly from person to person and depending on how much product was used and where it is placed. With a greater amount of product used there will be more of a dramatic result that is longer lasting. The amount of time the product lasts can also depend on a person's metabolism. Another product that can be used is Radiesse which is less costly, but that has been shown to last about a year and the drawback is that it is not a dissolvable product like Voluma. Ideally, you should discuss your concerns and options with your injector so that they may help you determine the best treatment for you based on your needs.

How Long Does Voluma Last?

Juvederm can last from six to nine months and possibly up to one year. Juvederm Voluma is FDA approved for up to 2 years. However, this timeframe varies based on each individual.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for non-surgical rhinoplasty.

I favor Voluma, for most areas of the face, and that includes when I am performing injections on the nose to recreate or reshape the nasal bridge. The great news is, this is an area with practically zero motion and muscular activity, so if the Voluma was going to last for up to 2 years, this is the area where you would see that longevity. It should last you a long time, and if you wanted another filler as a substitute Radiesse can be used, however I prefer Voluma due to its better safety profile for this vascular area.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

How long will Voluma last in the nose?

The longevity of any filler depends not only on its particular physical properties, but also on the following:

1) how much is placed (1 syringe, 2 syringes, 3 syringes, etc), ]
2) the location (cheeks have longer duration than lips),
3) how quickly the person is aging (some of us age a lot quicker than others).

Your particular question has not been studied, but it seems that fillers tend to last longer in areas with less movement.  The bridge of the nose has relatively minimal movement.  Why don't you see how long it lasts, and then try Restylane lyft or radiesse for your next injection.  Preferably, you would do this with the same injector.  Then, you can do a comparison.  The fairest comparison would be if you again had 2 cc.

As people age, the cheek area loses volume, making the cheeks flatten out and the skin droop and sag. Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler that is approved to temporarily correct age-related volume loss in the cheek area. It instantly provides smooth, natural-looking results that last up to two years with optimal correction. Most of my patients have been very happy with their results using Voluma, even given the higher cost for this filler.