How long does Juvederm & Voluma really last?

Last February, I was injected 2 syringes of Voluma to increase and further define the bridge of my nose. The results was nothing less than amazing, but since the procedure was quite pricey, I was wondering if this filler was worth the spending. I believe it is the longevity of this filler that makes it costly with its claim to last up to 2 years, but is it true? Or should I consider a different filler? Thanks:)

Voluma Duration vs. Other Fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Valentino.  Great question.  The problem with judging the duration with Voluma is that it is still a new product with less than 6 months on the market in the US.  It is a pricey filler and is typically 50% - 100% more expensive than other Hyaluronic acid based products like Restylane, Juvederm Ultra and Perlane.

At this point, we are not believers in the added cost and here's why.  In the study used to market a 2 year duration, there are a couple key issues that warrant a closer look:

1.  The AVERAGE patient in the study (for the cheeks) had 6.5 CC's (or 6.5 mL's) of the product injected.  At today's market prices in Los Angeles this would be around $4500 - $6000.  Over half the patients had more than 6.5 CC's and some as many as 12 or 13 CC's.  

2.  We disagree with Dr. Soltman below as the number of patients reporting continued improvement at 2 years was only 44%.  In the study sent to us directly from Allergan's medical liaison, patients were judged to be "responders" at 2 years if they graded their improvement of at least 1 on a scale of 6.  This means even for patients that could barely see the product, they were judged to fit in the category of a 2 year duration.  Only 44% responded yes that the product could still be seen even though more than 1/2 of patients had more than 6.5 CC's injected.

We believe that your assessment is right on point that Voluma is not worth the extra expense.  When Restylane and Juvederm were introducted to the market 5-10 years ago, they both claimed an 18 month indication (duration).  Any injector in Los Angeles will tell you this is not what they last and it's typically between 6-12 months.  We believe the same will hold true for Voluma that the actual duration will be about 50% of what is advertised and will come in at around 12 months.

This duration is very similar to Radiesse, which is what we use in bridge of the nose.  With Radiesse, you get 50% more product (1.5 CC) at about 2/3 the price of Voluma.  

So the answer to your question in our eyes, is to stick with the traditional products because we don't think Voluma will double their duration and it may not be worth the additional cost.

Duration of Voluma

You almost have to read the fine print.  The company claim of 2 year duration is based on their study of participants receiving more than 6 syringes AND with touch-ups.  Also, approximately 2/3rd of the participants were SATISFIED at 2 years do not translate into 2/3rd of the participants had palpable products at 2 years.  From my own injection experience, I do think Voluma when placed deep (on top of bone) tends to last longer than other fillers such as Radiesse in the same location.  If you had an amazing result I would still go with Voluma.  I think it's safe to say it can last up to one year but there are always outliers.

Juvederm Volum and Longevity

The studies of Juvederm Voluma showed a two year duration.  However, these initial studies used over 6 syringes of product.  I typically use two syringes per patient of Voluma and 3 if the patient is over 55 and has more volume loss.  I generally see about one year of duration with these fillers.  Voluma is my favorite product for injecting with fabulous natural looking results.  Best, Dr. Green

How Long Does Voluma Last

Voluma has been said to last up to 2 years. This can vary greatly from person to person and depending on how much product was used and where it is placed. With a greater amount of product used there will be more of a dramatic result that is longer lasting. The amount of time the product lasts can also depend on a person's metabolism. Another product that can be used is Radiesse which is less costly, but that has been shown to last about a year and the drawback is that it is not a dissolvable product like Voluma. Ideally, you should discuss your concerns and options with your injector so that they may help you determine the best treatment for you based on your needs.

How long does Voluma last?

Thank you for your question. Voluma typically lasts longer in comparison to other hyaluronic acid dermal fillers. It can last up to 2 years. That being said, it does break down over the 2 years. Therefore, the results you had initially could be different at 6 months, 9 months and so on.

Voluma longevity

Voluma is a great product. As others have stated, the claim of 2 years of longevity is based on the primary study where patients received 6 syringes of filler and most were still satisfied at 2 years post-procedure. Like any other injectable treatment, Voluma lasts a different amount of time in each individual based on factors such as metabolism, activity level, location of the injection, and depth of injection. Voluma creates some very beautiful and long-lasting results, with many patients seeing results for 1-2 years, but as with any treatment, there are no guarantees.

Juvederm and Voluma Effect Duration

Thank you for your question! Knowing about a specific treatment method before committing to it fully is always a wise move. To answer your inquiry, the duration of effectiveness will differ from one filler to another. At most, the cheaper filler Juvederm will last anywhere from 6 months up to 1 year while the more expensive one, Voluma claims to last for approximately a couple of years.

Based on my practice experience, placing Voluma deeper tends to provide lasting effects compared to other fillers. Personally speaking, if Voluma provided you awesome results the first time, using it again would be advisable this is to avoid possible after effects that Juvederm may cause. Keep in mind that our bodies would react differently from the fillers that is put in. Therefore, if Voluma treated you well with minimal after effects then I believe you should go for it. That said, discuss this with your plastic surgeon for extensive information regarding Juvederm and Voluma.

Longevity

As a top 1% provider of injectable fillers, I can attest that it is a safe and effective treatment when applied by a trained professional. While it takes up to 10 days for the swelling to go down, the results are long-lasting. Most clients need 1-2 syringes for a dramatic effect, but some require more. This depends on the amount of product you need to achieve your desired look. Any facial enhancement requires a great deal of precision and skill and can really alter the balance of your face when done poorly. Be wary of pricing that is overly discounted. If you have questions or concerns after your appointment, it is recommended that you contact your provider as soon as possible! Best of luck!

Long Lasting Results

Allergan states on average Juvederm will last 6 to 12 months and Voluma will last approximately two years.

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of Volume and Juvederm

Thank you for your question. The longevity of fillers may be different for everyone. Everybody is different. Volume may last up to 2 years, where juvederm, which is cheaper, only lasts about 6-12 months. Just make sure you  are injected by a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified 
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates 
Barrington 
Oakbrook 
Chicago