How long does Juvederm & Voluma really last?
Doctor Answers 19
Voluma Duration vs. Other Fillers
At this point, we are not believers in the added cost and here's why. In the study used to market a 2 year duration, there are a couple key issues that warrant a closer look:
1. The AVERAGE patient in the study (for the cheeks) had 6.5 CC's (or 6.5 mL's) of the product injected. At today's market prices in Los Angeles this would be around $4500 - $6000. Over half the patients had more than 6.5 CC's and some as many as 12 or 13 CC's.
2. We disagree with Dr. Soltman below as the number of patients reporting continued improvement at 2 years was only 44%. In the study sent to us directly from Allergan's medical liaison, patients were judged to be "responders" at 2 years if they graded their improvement of at least 1 on a scale of 6. This means even for patients that could barely see the product, they were judged to fit in the category of a 2 year duration. Only 44% responded yes that the product could still be seen even though more than 1/2 of patients had more than 6.5 CC's injected.
We believe that your assessment is right on point that Voluma is not worth the extra expense. When Restylane and Juvederm were introducted to the market 5-10 years ago, they both claimed an 18 month indication (duration). Any injector in Los Angeles will tell you this is not what they last and it's typically between 6-12 months. We believe the same will hold true for Voluma that the actual duration will be about 50% of what is advertised and will come in at around 12 months.
This duration is very similar to Radiesse, which is what we use in bridge of the nose. With Radiesse, you get 50% more product (1.5 CC) at about 2/3 the price of Voluma.
So the answer to your question in our eyes, is to stick with the traditional products because we don't think Voluma will double their duration and it may not be worth the additional cost.
Duration of Voluma
Long Lasting Results
Allergan states on average Juvederm will last 6 to 12 months and Voluma will last approximately two years.
You might also like...
Juvederm Volum and Longevity
The studies of Juvederm Voluma showed a two year duration. However, these initial studies used over 6 syringes of product. I typically use two syringes per patient of Voluma and 3 if the patient is over 55 and has more volume loss. I generally see about one year of duration with these fillers. Voluma is my favorite product for injecting with fabulous natural looking results. Best, Dr. Green
Longevity of Volume and Juvederm
Dhaval M. Patel
Double board certified
How Long Does Voluma Last
How Long Does Voluma Last?
Voluma for non-surgical rhinoplasty.
How long will Voluma last in the nose?
1) how much is placed (1 syringe, 2 syringes, 3 syringes, etc), ]
2) the location (cheeks have longer duration than lips),
3) how quickly the person is aging (some of us age a lot quicker than others).
Your particular question has not been studied, but it seems that fillers tend to last longer in areas with less movement. The bridge of the nose has relatively minimal movement. Why don't you see how long it lasts, and then try Restylane lyft or radiesse for your next injection. Preferably, you would do this with the same injector. Then, you can do a comparison. The fairest comparison would be if you again had 2 cc.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.