If I do not make a bone graft after extraction, am I able to have an implant later?

Bone graft

There are different areas of the mouth,there are also different bone density and also bone height and width, each patient is different ,and depends on each patient. Whenever you perform an extraction, it will be a recovery reconstruction from the body,bone grafting helps and will be very useful for the bone height, but in most cases, even if you do not put bone graft, and the conditions are the perfect ones. This is determined by the doctor, you would not need bone graft. Hope this helps.

Dental implant without bone grafting

The answer is yes- You can always have an implant later. The only question is whether there is sufficient bone for implant placement. If not, then bone grafting will be necessary. Generally, I recommend to graft the extraction site if there is already bone missing or the implant is planned beyond 3 months following tooth extraction.  The link below will expand on this topic more.

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Implant later

It is more ideal to have bone grafting done at the time of extraction than it is to go back later and bone graft. This is not to say that it can't be done. technology is constantly changing and progressing so you may still be able to have an implant placed later, it may just require more time, effort and cost.

Dental Implants and Bone Grafts

This is a great question.  A bone graft will give you a better chance in the future to receive a dental implant.  There is no way to know for sure how your bone will resorb after the extraction - the more bone you have after the tooth is removed, the better your chance is.  Once the tooth is gone, there is no need for the bone and it often starts to resorb rather quickly.  Generally, there is a 25% decrease in width of bone during the first year, after tooth loss and an overall decrease in height over the next few years. Over time 65% of the bone resorbs, If no measure is taken to preserve the bone.

Frank Orlando, DDS
New York Dentist