Can I get lower bleph if I have thyroid disease?

My blood work came back with my thyroid overactive. My endocrinologist keeps me on the higher end of the spectrum because I am always tired. Will my surgeon still preform surgery on me?

I wouldn't...

Hi there. Greetings from the UK! In short, I'd also agree with Dr Steinsapir that it's a bad idea to get blepharoplasty surgery in the presence of uncontrolled hyperthyroidism. Yes quite a lot of our patients ultimately do well with transconjunctival blepharoplasty surgery particularly to debulk away the fat pads, however we only offer this sort of surgery once we are sure that their thyroid eye disease is in a period of prolonged stability and is therefore unlikely to worsen or improve any further. Hence overall we tend to time our rehabilitation surgery after at least 6 months of stability. The problem is that when a patient's endocrine control is still a bit haywire, the risk of reactivation of thyroid eye disease becomes much higher and their thyroid eye disease and thus their appearance is more likely to alter. Thus patients may then run the risk of having a blepharoplasty surgery now only for their eyelids to worsen further. Similarly it is not uncommon for patient's appearances to improve as their thyroid control improves- so you may risk undergoing surgery for something which was going to self improve anyway. On another note, the anaesthetist may run into more risks in an uncontrolled hyperthyroid patient whilst administering GA. Hope that all makes sense. Best Wishes David.

Birmingham Oculoplastic Surgeon

This is very complicated subject.

To make it abundantly simple: No.  I personally think that it would be below the standard of care to perform cosmetic eyelid surgery on you until your thyroid status is stabilized.   That is a personal opinion but one that is made out of an abundance of caution for the heal of your eyes.  You may want to get another opinion regarding the management of the Graves disease.  Some endocrinologist recognize that there is value is stabilizing the thyroid status.

'Transconjunctival' lower blepharoplasty okay in inactive thryoid eye disease

As long as you are in post-inflammatory stage of thyroid eye disease, then you can proceed with lower blepharoplasty BUT it has be done transconjunctival in order to avoid any problems with eye closure or dry eyes. See an oculoplastic surgeon. See link below.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

blepharoplasty and thyroid disease

There are many different kinds of thyroid disease, so it's best to get medical clearance from your endocrinologist before undergoing elective cosmetic surgery.

Surgery on Thyroid Patients

Thank you for asking your question. In general, surgery is deferred until the thyroid disease is controlled and the eyelid appearance has stabilized. Individual doctors might be more flexible with the timing of surgery. Make sure to see an eyelid specialist. Good luck,