I'm 65 Yrs old. My breast sag. Am I eligible for breast implants?

Am I Eligible For Breast Implants At Age 65 With Sagging Breasts?

If I'm not mistaken, 65 is the new 35!

That being said, age is no bar to breast augmentation as long as one is healthy, has no critical medical issues, and has reasonable expectations.

Sagging breasts, defined as the relationship between the nipple and the fold below the breast (inframammary fold), can be corrected with a breast lift.  However a lift alone, especially in mature breasts, will be just a higher version of the same problem.  Therefore, you are correct to consider breast implants to go along with the lift you probably need to get. 

Implants will add projection, fill the upper pole, and make breasts look more youthful and natural even at the tender age of 65. 

Are You Eligable For A Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for your question! You are absolutely eligible for a breast augmentation, I would suggest a breast lift as well for the best results.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Sagging Breasts

Your health is more important than your age when it comes to elective surgery. You may benefit from a breast lift. Most women will want to restore the fullness or the upper pole of the breast as well. To do this, a lift is usually combined with implants. Discuss options of both over and under the muscle with your American Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

65 years old in need of a breast lift and implants.

Without pictures it's hard to confirm which type of breast lift you would benefit from.  If your nipples are above the lower line (crease) of your breast then in my opinion you need a full uplift (keyhole or anchor pattern) combined with the option of placement of small to medium sized breast implants.  If your nipple line is above the inframammary crease then a limited lift (circular incision) with somewhat larger implants may be best to create a very nice aesthetic improvemen.  Both procedures are often enhanced by placement of implants to restore the fullness of your breasts and improve shaping.  Remember though that there is a small risk of complications associated with breast implants (ie capsular contracture, displecement.....) and the fact that they don't last forever and will possibly if not probably need to be changed in the future.   Good luck with your decision and enjoy the results!

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Age is not a contraindication for undergoing a breast augmentation. There are a number of factors that are more important: Your general health, individual anatomy, realistic expectations, and a full understanding of the benefits as well as the potential problems that can occur with the procedure.  Implants alone do not adequately lift the breast when there is significant sagging, no matter the size or type of implant, and will not produce a good cosmetic result in a patient who also needs some variation of a lift.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person and be very realistic about your potential cosmetic result.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast augmentation is a procedure often sought by women to increase size, add upper pole fullness and projection along with improve shape and symmetry of her breasts. Women who have the breast augmentation done report increased self-confidence, self-esteem, and more comfortable with her body. In fact, it has been the most popular procedure in plastic surgery in the US for the past few years. You Are a candidate, given there are no medical contraindications for surgical procedures. Given your age, consideration for a lift will help shape your breasts as well and the implant will serve to give fullness, size, and perkiness.

Things to to consider during your consultation, which your surgeon will discuss with you, include implant type (saline vs silicone), shape/texturing of implant (round vs shaped/textured vs non-textured), implant position (sub pectoral, subglandular, or subfascial), incision (inframammary fold, periareolar, axillary, or TUBA), and size of implant. This can be performed with/out a breast lift, which would serve to obtain symmetry in breast size or nipple position as well as improve shape. Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory. I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. Too large of implants for the woman often destroys the breast pocket and breast shape, thus creating an oft seen in correctable problem later.

In general, implant size does not correlate with cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size or implant size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. 

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Age and breast implants

Funny you should ask this question, I just performed implants on a wonderful lady who is 63 years old.  She is ecstatic!   Age is not a barrier for breast implants, if you are in good health and need a little "lift", then GO FO IT!

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants age limitations?

Thank you for your question.  There is no age limit for breast implants.  As long as you are in good health and have no breast concerns (need to have a mammogram within the year), there is no age limit or restrictions for implants.  Implants and a lift will often give you a beautiful and youthful appearance.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Anyone can have implants

and you are no exception, assuming you are healthy enough for a surgical procedure.  You should find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and get a consultation.  Don't be surprised if a lift is suggested as well.  Also know what your surgeon's revision policy is and how accessible your surgeon will be in your post-op period.  Some surgeons find a way to disappear sometimes.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast sagging in 65 year old patient

If you are a healthy 65 year old lady then breast implant or breast lift surgery would be very appropriate and easy to recover from. I have done this surgery on women into their 80's. The issue to consider is the quality and quantity of your breast skin. As we age our skin tone and elasticity diminishes. This must be factored into whatever procedure you choose to undergo. It may be you only need a breast lift if you have sagging skin but adequate breast tissue. Or you may just need implants if your breasts look more "deflated" rather than sagging. Or you may need both procedures. Your best bet is to consult with a plastic surgeon with a lot of breast surgery experience, particularly in older individuals. Good luck!
Thomas Taylor, MD
Pasadena, CA