My doctor says my hard nasal tip will feel soft again after septal grafts for tip and columella were placed. Is this the case?

I am 10 months post primary rhinoplasty. It seems like doctors on Real Self are very conflicted about this, with some saying it will always stay very hard, and others saying it will return to feeling comfortably natural. My nose still fluctuates in swelling at 10 months, but I can't tell whether this is due to grafts or swelling. The hard tip (minimal recoil) is very uncomfortable and makes intimacy less than ideal. If this doesn't soften I will look to remove the grafts…

Your tip after rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty is an incredibly broad term to describe a change in the shape of the nose. The vast array of maneuvers each have their own rate of healing and expected outcome. Without knowing exactly what was done to your nose, it is not really possible to comment on how your nose will heal. In general, I have seen noses soften 1-2 years out from surgery... but again, it really depends on what was done. I would follow the lead and accept the reassurance that your surgeon is providing you... If you feel you have unanswered questions, you can ask for the operative report and seek a second opinion. 

Best of luck from Manhattan.

Grafts and nasal tip

The tip should soften over time, but it can take longer than a year. I would caution you about removing grafts, because it may cause destabilization of the tip.

Postoperative recovery after septorhinoplasty / nose surgery

Yes-essentially each person's nose has a different skin thickness; there are those patients whose cartilage grafts will be more apparent to the touch and those that it won't; but ultimately, depending on the case cartilage grafts may be contoured or removed.. best of luck

Your nose may still soften over the next few months. Certain grafting techniques lead to stiffer noses than others. Caudal septal extension grafts (which are sewn to the septum) may be more stiff than columellar struts (not sewn to the septum), but many surgeons argue that they support the nose better over the long term. Be cautious before undergoing any revision surgery as you have the opportunity to introduce scarring and a potentially less desirable cosmetic outcome. The second surgery is several fold more challenging than the first. Hope that helps!

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon