Does Getting a Nose Job, Drastically Change Your Face?

If you get a nose job can it drastically change your face? Would it just enhance features? Would your lips look fuller or eyes look bigger? I know this may be a shallow question, but can someone go from a 7 to a 9 or 10 (on level attractivnes) after a nose job?

This is an excellent question and one that may confuse many patients.  Aesthetically speaking a Rhinoplasty is performed to improve the appearance of the nose making it less noticable.  The aesthetics of facial beauty, as outlined in my book "What's Your Number...The Palmer Code" state that the cheeks, eye area and lips are the most important features in creating beauty, not the nose.  When the nose has some attribute that draws attention to itself, this happens at the expense of taking attention away from these top facial features.  Once the nose is more aesthetically shaped, these facial features become more noticable but they themselves are obviously not changed as no surgery was done upon them.  Hope this helps.  

The nose is in the center of your face, if it's too large it can distract. If it fits, if it fits the rest is better appreciated

There are a number of reasons why people look better after rhinoplasty. Of course a smaller nose fits better but it also distracts less and others see the rest of your face. A professor of mine used to say "the sign of a good nosejob is in the eyes."

There are also often changes in people's self reliance after getting nasal surgery. This boost in self confidence often out-strips the surgical changes.

A rhinoplasty specialist can discuss and often demonstrate changes on a computer imager to view potential changes.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Change

Natural beauty from facial surgery can be thought of in terms of "colors."  Some color combinations are very attractive to certain people while completely different colors will suite the tastes of others.  Therefore, it is vital that the Cosmetic Surgeon & Patient are on the same wavelength (pun intended).  Communicate with a Cosmetic Surgeon who understands what you like and a surgeon who has the experience necessary to create the needed change.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty??

Repeated sceintific studies have shown that when you look at someone you first look at their eyes then, you track to their nose and mouth. Anything attractive in these primary areas of focus can create a favorable impression. 

Yes, several stars have had cosmetic surgery on the faces which has moved them in to a more appealing position such as Marilyn Monroe- Nose & Chin, Julia Roberts- Nose & Chin, etc. Make sure your surgeon knows your intentions.

May I suggest you first write down what you realy like about your face then, in a second columb write down the three things youy would like to change. For example: My foward is attractive like Godlie Hawn. My eyes are wide set like Michelle Pfeiffer. These are my best features but, I belive I have Barabra Streisands nose. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Does getting a nose job drastically change your face?

Hello, having a rhinoplasty can provide drastic changes if that's what you're hoping to achieve. It can also provide slight changes. Depending on how much your nose is changed will determine how the rest of your features will look post operatively. I suggest that you schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon. When the surgeon does photo imaging you will get a good idea of your end results. Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

How much of a facial change can be expected after rhinoplasty

A well-done rhinoplasty usually provides a nice enhancement to the facial features by restoring/ enhancing facial balance.  The changes are usually not drastic (although this partly depends on the degree of nasal imballance/ deformity preoperatively) but noticeable, and if the nose is the only part of the face causing some disharmony, then rhinoplasty can bring someone from a 7 to a 9/10.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Results of Your Nose Job

Generally speaking rhinoplasty will refine your nose so it is more in balance with the other characteristics of your face. For example in you have a large bump or bulbous tip, after rhinoplasty your nose will be in more balance with the rest of your face and it will bring out the other characteristics of your face, e.g. your eyes. Your surgeon should be primarily concerned with achieving your expectations, and I personally conform patient’s surgery to give you the most natural results that are in line with your other facial features.

Yes: Facial Aesthetics Can Be Impacted

Rhinoplasty definitely has the potential to dramatically impact the aesthetics of the entire face. When performing rhinoplasty surgery, the nose must always be considered in the context of other facial structures.The best results are obtained when surgery results in balance, proportion and harmony between the nose and other facial structures.
In many cases, subtle changes can drastically impact facial aesthetics by bringing the nose into alignment with other facial structures. This may ultimately make the chin appear more prominent or make the eyes look larger. Ultimately, these changes improve facial aesthetics by improving facial balance and proportion.
It’s hard for patients to visualize how rhinoplasty can impact other facial features. For this reason, we routinely utilized preoperative computer imaging in rhinoplasty patients. This procedure helps patients visualize how rhinoplasty effects the surrounding facial structures.
If you’re concerned about how rhinoplasty surgery will impact your overall facial aesthetics, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to use advanced technology to illustrate these changes.

Degree of change or improvement with nose job

A nose job tends to give better facial balance, so when a rhinoplasty is performed correctly, the results looks quite natural.  A natural-looking nose blends as a part of the facial features, rather than a prominent feature on the patient’s face.  The balance makes any self-conscious awareness of a deformity diminish and self-confidence improves.  Degree of change to establish this balance varies with each patient.

Drastic changes after a nose job?

The answer to your question,  it depends. Someone who is looking to either dramatically augment their nose or reduce their nose can potentially have a dramatic change. Meaning an individual who has either a extremely large dorsum or an individual who has a extremely saddled bridge a rhinoplasty.  Although these changes can be significant the goal for any rhinoplasty surgery is to achieve harmony with the other facial structures and a natural result.

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon