Post Rhinoplasty: Why Does my Nose Look Bigger Than Before Surgery?

i had an open rhinoplasty 1 month ago and im so worried and upset about the results the tip looks really big and my profile looks really long! longer than it was before surgery is this normal?? can someone please give me some advice???

Post Rhinoplasty recommendation

One month is only the beginning of the healing process. There can be excessive swelling for months and you have to have patients and give your nose time to heal. The healing process will take one year to reach the final results. You need to continue to have checkups with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and the present instructions from your doctor. I believe that it is essential to discuss your concern with your doctor because he is the one that performed the surgery and has the understanding of what was done. Seeking a second opinion is fine but make sure you have your surgery records with you so the attending doctor is familiar with your case.

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty: Why Does my Nose Look Bigger Than Before Surgery

Thank you for submitting your question. Your very early in your recovery from a rhinoplasty. Swelling after a rhinoplasty, with tip work will last for a year. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and follow his/her advise. Best wishes

In short... Swelling.

It’s not unusual for patients to experience significant nasal swelling following rhinoplasty. This swelling can cause the nose to look much larger than it did pre-operatively. Most patients will note severe swelling for 2 to 4 weeks following surgery. This swelling gradually resolves and most patients are able to resume normal activities and go out in public in 2 to 3 weeks following surgery.
Several factors, including the use of open rhinoplasty, fracture of the nasal bones, thickness of the nasal skin and a previous rhinoplasty have been associated with prolonged swelling.
Swelling will persist in most patients for at least one year following surgery, with the nasal tip being the last site to experience resolution. For this reason, revisional rhinoplasty should not be under taken for at least a year following the original procedure. In the immediate post-operative period, nasal splints, elevation of the head and ice can be used to minimize swelling.
It’s important that you maintain good communication with your surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to reassure you and alleviate your anxiety.

Still swollen

In general, swelling after rhinoplasty takes months and months to fully resolve, and it's apparent that your nose is still quite swollen. You should wait at least a year before considering revision rhinoplasty.

Too early to get the final results

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned especially with the large nose tip. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

With the pictures posted, the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive medical answer.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Your nasal proportion has changed.

Noses look good because they have shape (created by the underlying cartilage and bone, not the skin), and because they are well--balanced--proportionate. Your surgeon has reduced your bridge and tip so that your soft tissues now have less support and less shape.  That is why reduced noses can look larger than they did before surgery, and why augmentation can give noses more shape and reduce apparent nasal size.  It may seem counter-intuitive but the principle always holds.  Reduction does not solve all nasal problems. Once things have healed, you may benefit from a secondary correction.

Your bridge line now begins lower than it did before surgery.   Thus your profile proportion has changed--making your tip (also rounder than before) look larger.  It isn't larger, but the same skin is now distributed and supported differently.  I wish you well.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Nose looks larger 1 month after Open Rhinoplasty

I can tell you that your nose can be quite swollen 1 month after an Open Rhinoplasty, so don't panic quite yet.  I would ask your surgeon, if the bridge was reduced and if the tip was thinned as it's hard for me to know what was done during your Rhinoplasty.

Thank you for your question. it is normally for your nose to look big as it is still swellen you need time 3 to 6 months for swelling. 

Recovery and Results :

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Swelling May Be Responsible

Thanks for your question. I don't think you have any reason to worry that your current look will be permanent. When a nose looks unexpectedly enlarged after rhinoplasty, it's usually due to swelling, and swelling is almost always temporary. Over the next few weeks, you should see much of this swelling diminish on its own, provided you're following your surgeon's aftercare instructions. If you don't see any change with time, schedule a follow-up with your surgeon.

Jerold Olson, MD
Tucson Facial Plastic Surgeon

You appear to have a nice result only four weeks after rhinoplasty surgery.

Your profile no longer reveals a hump and droopy tip, and your front view appears to have swelling around your nasal tip which would be expected only one month postoperative.Hope this helps.Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon