Blepharoplasty patients complain so much here. Any warnings for a patient before committing to this surgery?

I've read so many horror stories recently and women regretting the operation and wishing they'd kept their bags. I can relate because so eyes express real communication, no one wants different shaped eyes and the RISKS seems to outweigh the benefits. Eyes that wont close, eyes whose lid is apart from the eyeball, too much eye whites showing, change in the shape (therefore the expression) of the eyes. Perhaps is one of the cases where women need to love their eyes as nature has given and aged them.

Risks of blepharoplasty

On a site like this you are only going to find patients with problems looking for advice.  If they are healing well there is nothing to write about! Lower lid surgery is very tricky, and bad results can occur - especially with surgeons who don't do these cases often, or don't know the anatomy well.  They may also try to remove and wrinkles by puling the skin tight, which only creates complications. Any irregularity is easily seen, and not always easily fixed.For upper lids, in an attempt to tighten skin some surgeons take out too much skin preventing good closure.  You should get referrals from friends who have had a good result.  See a few different surgeons until you feel comfortable.  And make sure you go with someone who does a lot of eyelid surgery.   An oculoplastic surgeon is usually a good start since that is their specialty.  Other specialties also do eyelids, such as facial plastic and general plastic surgeons. Remember that just because someone is a board certified plastic surgeon does not make them a skilled surgeon.  Look at before and afters to see if you like their aesthetics.         

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question.  I agree--lower eyelid blepharoplasty must be carefully considered and you must find a good surgeon.   It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Your concerns are well founded. I am surprised at the numbers of bad blepharoplasties that are out there including many of the plastic surgery photos posted here. My best advice is to seek a surgeon with a huge amount of experience and look at his photos. The photos in his office should blow you away with their magic. If they don't seek another surgeon.. Hope this helps.

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty concerns before surgery

Your concerns are very commonly heard ones. Look for a board certified plastic surgeon who performs this procedure frequently. Most of the concerns you listed are from more aggressive approaches to skin removal. Conservative careful surgery will give very natural results. Good luck.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

There are risks

There are risks involved with all surgical procedures, and by choosing one of the best surgeon's for your surgery you are minimizing those risks.  Please review the before/after photos of the plastic surgeons you are interested in to see how the after photos look and if you like the results.  There are many excellent plastic surgeons out there that get natural results and you can tell who those are by reviewing their before/after photos.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Risks of blepharoplasty surgery

All eyelid surgery has to be carefully considered before going ahead.
Step one is to identify what you see as your problem and not let the surgeon talk you into having more that what you want done.
Second you have to have a thorough pre-operative examination including eyelid measurements, laxity and dry eye assessment. So choose your surgeon well, often an ophthalmic oculoplastic surgeon is best able to deal with both the eyelid blepharoplasty and consider the safety of the eye as well.
Step three is information. Make sure that you receive a written report outlining the problem and what is planned. You should also be given an information sheet usually several pages long outlining what happens during the surgery, what to expect afterwards and what are the potential risks.
Step four is to wait. Step back a bit and think, "Do I really want to have this done?". Give yourself time to reflect and decide. Get good references on the surgeon and read around the subject.

Jane Olver, MBBS, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty candidate

Performing a blepharoplasty procedure is  a delicate and  difficult procedure to  give natural results consistently. Look for a surgeon who has dedicated a significant component of their practice to the discipline eyelid surgery, performs them very often, and has an excellent  results in their before and after  eyelid photo gallery

There are millions of people that are very satisfied with their results. The few that post on a site like this that are dissatisfied are small numbers of patients. No surgeon wants an unhappy patient. I think that the key is to find a good surgeon and review your goals and concerns. Good luck.

Lower blepharoplasty results

Lower blepharoplasty is a very safe surgery with predictable results in experienced hands. Many surgeons only perform this surgery a few times a year, so make sure you see a surgeon who has lots of experience. It is okay to ask a doctor how many of these surgeries they have performed and how many they do each month.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Risks of Blepharoplasty Surgery

In most plastic surgeons' practices, blepharoplasty represents a surgery with a high satisfaction rate. Important aspects to consider is a sound surgical plan beforehand to achieve the desired outcome. Of course, risks exist with any surgical intervention. Therefore, it is a deeply personal decision whether to correct aging and puffy eyelids or not.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon