The splints in my nose are hurting me. Should I call my surgeon?

I had a rhinoplasty and septoplasty 10 days ago and last saw my surgeon 4 days ago. I asked about the two pieces of plastic (?) inside my nose and said they are internal splints which will be removed the next time we meet (which is 14 days post-op). However, lately my nose hurts and when I took a look I noticed the splints are deep inside my 'skin' (inside my nostrils, I mean), to the point there is a bit of blood and it seems cut in two (it's pretty difficult to describe). Should I call my surgeon?

Internal nasal splints after rhinoplasty surgery

Many plastic surgeons will utilize internal splints, in addition to external splint, after rhinoplasty surgery. These splints are more often used when septoplasty or turbinate reduction is performed in conjunction with rhinoplasty. Most patients may not even realize they have these internal splints. Your plastic surgeon will remove these internal splints in the office about a week or so after nasal surgery.

You should always contact your plastic surgeon if you're having any issues or difficulty in the recovery period. 

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, always call your Plastic Surgeon first.

He/she knows exactly what was performed. Since you were seen just a few days ago, chances are all is fine.
Sincerely,
Barry Weintraub MD

Nasal splints and pain

Internal nasal splints are commonly kept in for 10days to two weeks. If they are digging into your skin like you said, then it is probably a good idea to speak to your surgeon.

Nasal Splints

Electro,
It is not uncommon for surgeons to use nasal splints and keep them in for up to 2 weeks after surgery. However, if yours are hurting you and you feel very concerned, call your doctor for advice considering he knows your case the best.
Best of Luck!
Dr. Ali Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Nasal splints

You should contact your surgeon for an evaluation. Generally internal and external nasal splints are removed at on week. It is important that you be on antibiotics while internal splints are in to prevent infection. Good luck. Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Should I call my surgeon?

I really do not mean to be condescending, but I think you know the answer to your question.  There are multiple types of plastic splints that are used in the nose after rhinoplasty.  I assume you are describing Doyle splints, which can certainly be uncomfortable, especially left in for 2 weeks.  Definitely call your surgeon.  Why would you seek advice from strangers on the internet when you can easily call the person who very recently perfomred surgery on you?

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon