How hard should I massage the hard swelling after gyno surgery, is it scar tissue?

I had gyno surgery 2 weeks ago and now have the bandages off. i am pleased with the results but there is a large hard swell going from my nipple to where the incision was for the lipo under my arm, causing a bump. Is this scar tissue or just hard swelling or is that the same thing? i was told and read to massage any hard lumps and was wondering how hard to massage as i don't want to cause and damage and prolong healing. thanks.

Post Gynecomastia Surgery Care

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

How hard should I massage the hard swelling after gyno surgery, is it scar tissue

It is more "hard swelling" than "scar tissue" in the sense that it is not permanent.  Massage will definitely help it resolve sooner.  Simply perform the massage so that it is painless or only mildly uncomfortable.  2-3 times a day should be enough.  Sounds like you are going to have a nice result.  Good luck.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon