2 weeks post op gyno surgery, is it normal to be hard going from my nipple to the incision from the lipo?

i had surgery 2 weeks ago. I had glands removed from both sides and then lipo as well. the right side has some small lumps but not really noticeable but the left side has very hard swelling going from my nipple to the incision where they did the lipo under my arm. I was told this was fine and to massage any hard lumps. is this scar tissue or just hard swelling or is that the same thing. How hard should i massage it as i want the hard lump to go.

Incision Sites and Healing from Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery,. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

2 weeks post op gyno surgery

Normal healing process after gynecomastia surgery usually takes up to 9-12 months. Small hard lumps are very common, especially during the first period. You should massage these lumps and, of course, wear your garment as your plastic surgeon has advised you. 

Ioannis Gkotsikas, MD
Greece Plastic Surgeon

Hard lump 2 weeks post gynaecomastia surgery

Dear Josh 111,

feeling of hardness is  a routine recovery. it reduces over time mainly 3 months and finer improvements go on for 6 to 9 months.  if there is no associated pain ,redness or tenderness, dont worry. Be patient, and wear pressure garment \ corset as advice by your doctor

Hope this information will reduce your anxiety

Milan Doshi, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks postop, is this normal?

At 2 weeks out from surgery, unless there is severe bruising associated, any hardness that your are feeling is likely just from swelling.  It is too early for scar tissue formation.  The swelling will slowly resolve and as it does, the hardness will soften.  Keep in mind that it can take 6-12 months for scar tissue to change and mature and for swelling to completely resolve, so try to be patient.  Best of luck with your recovery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon