How long is recovery for a nose surgery? How long until I go back to work?

Time off work after rhinoplasty

Hi there, everyone is a little different but most people take 1-2 weeks off work. 
One week after surgery, most people are not taking narcotic pain medication and can carry their daily routine without problems. At one week after surgery, some bruising might still be present and the nose will be very swollen. People how are very concern about other noticing they had surgery will often take a little more time off.

I recommend you discuss with your surgeon
Hope this helps! 

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Operative Nose Surgery Questions

That depends on the type nose surgery that you are asking about, but typically patients can return to work in about 7-10 days. Discuss your post operative concerns with your chosen physician and staff. I am certain that they will guide you through the entire process and answer all your questions. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

I utilize a closed technique, which permits most people to return to work in one week.  Select a board certified plastic surgeon who is an expert at rhinoplasty. Kenneth Hughes, MD

Returning to work

There are a lot of factors to take into account in regards to when you can return to work after nasal surgery.  Typically, you will have external as well as internal splints in place for approximately 1 week.  You will also likely have some degree of bruising and swelling, the most obvious of which should resolve in approximately 2 weeks.  In addition, I recommend you avoid strenuous activity for 3 weeks after surgery.  If your job does not require strenuous activity, and you do not mind going back to work with splints and/or  bruising, you may be able to go back within 1 week as long as you are no longer taking narcotic pain medication.  If you do not want your coworkers to know you had nasal surgery, I suggest waiting approximately 2 weeks until the bruising has resolved. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Recovery after rhinoplasty

I use a closed technique which avoids external scars. This technique has been associated with less swelling and a faster resolution of swelling than the open technique. My patients have minimal bruising after 6-7 days. Most of my patients return to work 6-8 days after surgery and are completely fine. 

John Diaz, MD

Recovery of a Rhinoplasty

This will depend on how much you dont like to be seen with dressings. Medically speaking a week after the surgery you are released to go back to your normal routine, but you will still be using medical tape in your nose until 14 days after the surgery, so the majority of the patients prefer to have 14 days off.

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD

Nose surgery recovery

I perform mostly closed rhinoplasty. Almost all patients can return to work in 5 to 10 days. Interesting perhaps only 1 of ten requires pain medicine.I guess 35 years of experience pays off.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Nose surgery - recovery time

There are two different nasal operations for nose surgery:  closed rhinoplasty or open rhinoplasty.  The open rhinoplasty stays swollen and firm for much longer than the closed rhinoplasty.  With standard bone and cartilage work done with a closed rhinoplasty consider taking just over a week off.  With the open, I recommend up to two weeks off as the amount of work done typically is more.  Best Wishes!!

Recovery after nasal surgery.

Hello.  Recovery after nasal surgery varies depending on the extent of surgery one has.  But in general, most patients need about 10-14 days. After 2 wks, you are cleared for work and strenuous exercise.  If you had your nasal bones cut (osteotomies), then you can still do anything you want but must be careful about certain activities that carry higher risk of disrupting your results.  For example, contact sports like basketball, soccer, or volleyball may not be prudent in the first two months.  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long his recovery after nasal surgery?

There are lots of variables to the healing process after nasal surgery. Some of those variables include what type of nasal surgery is being performed, cosmetic rhinoplasty, endoscopic sinus surgery, functional breathing surgery, or broken nose repair. In addition, it is important to know whether there is an open rhinoplasty vs closed rhinoplasty procedure which heals differently. Also important to know whether or not there is any packing or stents placed in the nose which are unnecessary, painful and extends the recovery process. In our practice we do not place any packing or stents in the nose, perform closed rhinoplasty and patients   are usually  able to return to work at approximately 10 days with minimal pain.