Can Rhinoplasty change my bulbous nose tip and wide bridge like the guy on the picture? (Photos)

i want my nose to be like Johnny Depp's or close to it.. thin refined looking..

Rhinoplasty can slender the tip of the nose but not always as much as your favorite celebrity

All individuals have unique anatomy. We can't make your nose look just like your favorite celebrity. However, the photos you like are a good indication of what you like and your personal aesthetics. It is important for your rhinoplasty surgeon to be able to feel your nose to see how strong your cartilage is and how thick the skin is. Those are the two primary determining factors in how slender your tip can get.

Defining a bulbous nose

Hi,

Thank you for your question and helpful photos. You will benefit from a Rhinoplasty procedure where the nasal tip is to be re-sculpted and perhaps need infractures of the nasal bones. Word of caution: Please do not expect your nose to look exactly like that of your wish pic. You have different anatomy so it won't be possible. However, you should get a visible improvement in the overall contour of your nose. Also, the recovery period is lengthy. There will be lots of swelling for the first few weeks so you will need to be patient. Please choose a Board Certified plastic surgeon with plenty of before and after pics to show you.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous tip

Most of the width of your nose appears to be from a bulbous tip.  Your bridge near your nasal bones appears to be quite narrow.   Of course you need an in person examination to determine skin thickness and have an intranasal examination.    A thorough consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist is recommended to determine if your goals can be met. 

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip refinement

You can have refinement but will be limited to some extent by your thick tissues.  Best of luck.......

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from reducing the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can perform a nasal examination and give you the best options. It is near impossible to replicate somebody else’s nose because we all have different anatomy’s but you would definitely benefit from nasal refinement based on your photographs. It appears that you would benefit from a rhinoplasty to thin out the bridge of the nose and tip refinement to reduce the size of the tip of your nose. This includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tip Rhinoplasty: The Surgical Option for a Refined Nose

Hello:

Than you for your question regarding rhinoplasty and how it can effect a bulbous nasal tip and also address and the width of your nasal bridge. The first thing I advise all patients are that no two noses (or faces) are alike. It is very common to see a picture of a celebrity or someone on social media and the desire to have that look. However, you have to take into account that your nose effects all of the features and balance of your facial structure. Your eyes, nose, mouth, forehead, cheeks, chin and shape of your face determine what is the best type of refinement/modifications you can make to your nose. 

In looking at your pictures, I can see that you do have a bulbous tip and what appears to be a low radix. There is an excellent infographic on my website that explains the anatomy of the nose and what each area of your nasal structure is named and what can be done to address issues related to your desire to modify those areas. 

The best piece of advice I can give you is to have a unified vision with your surgeon. That unified vision, should include looking like yourself. You want to maintain your overall look, and be of the mindset that you want to have a better version of your nose. In our New York City office we offer our patients the ability of what I like to call a "virtual rhinoplasty". This involves computer imaging designed to show you what the end result of your rhinoplasty (nose job surgery) will be. 

I wish you the best on your journey researching rhinoplasty surgery and I am including a website link about nose surgery and a video that explains the different terms/phrases such as projection, rotation and length. I hope you find this information helpful in your decision making process and I would encourage you to only consult with board certified facial plastic surgeons. If you want a natural look, then you need to put your face in the hands of someone who has the experience to deliver the post-operative results you want.

Sincerely,

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Double Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Can Rhinoplasty change my bulbous nose tip and wide bridge like the guy on the picture?

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Why should I get a Rhinoplasty operation?

If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Tip and Bridge

The nasal tip and the bridge both can be addressed and the nose will be refined but you cannot expect a nose similar to Johnny Depp or a celebrity. It is not realistic as the healing process cannot guarantee an exact nose. 

However, if you are realistic in your expectations, you will be happy with your eventual result. 

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hi Zayd,

The best way to see if you would be happy with your desired results is to have your nose computer imaged. This will show you what is possible and if you like the potential results. Refining the tip of your nose and thinning out the bridge would make your face more balanced and decrease your nose at the focal point. Depending on the reason for your bulbous tip- surgery may require defatting the tip, cartilage grafting, and/or reshaping. In good hands, you should get a great result.  

Dr. S

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS