Plan to have gynecomastia procedure (excision and lipo) and considering liposuction of abdomen and flanks. Same time?

Is it too much to have done at once and what incremental recovery time would be expected from adding the abdomen/flanks lipo to the gynecomastia procedure? Does anyone think it would be best to split them into two procedures? Thank you

Male Breast Reduction - Gynecomastia Surgery- Liposuction

Performing gynecomastia surgery with additional liposuction of the abdomin and flanks would be very appropriate. By combining procedures you'll only have one recovery and usually a reduction in price compared to performing 2 separate procedures. The procedures are not very long and your surgery should not take more then 3-4 hours. 

About Multiple Procedures Combined with Gynecomastia Surgery

It is not uncommon to combine the procedures you are inquiring about. According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 

About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery.
 Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

The #recurrence of breast enlargement is uncommon following #gynecomastia surgery.
However, it can occur. If this happens, you may require further surgery in the future.
Each patient is unique and previous #results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Lipo for gynecomastia

It all depends. If the unwanted tissue is firm (often seen with anabolic steroid use) then liposuction does not go a good job at removing it and a direct surgical removal is required. On the other hand if it has the consistency of fat it can be removed easily with liposuction.

Most important is going to a board certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam and the best way to take care of your concerns.

Multiple Procedures Together Can Be Safe

Approximately 35 % of the male breast reduction surgery I do will be done along with additional surgery at the same time, with liposuction of the abdomen and flanks being the most popular. It makes sense to perform these surgeries together instead of breaking them up into 2 separate procedures which would require 2 anesthetics and separate recovery periods. The additional time is minimal since I perform liposuction of the gynecomastia in most patients, thus the same equipment is used in both the chest and abdomen.

When surgery is kept under 4 hours, studies have shown that the incidence of complications is quite low. So, if your gynecomastia surgery is more involved, such as removal of skin and breast tissue or with free nipple grafts, I would ask your surgeon if he/she anticipates spending more than 4 hours in the O.R.

The other factor which affects safety of liposuction is the total volume of material removed.  Generally speaking, for a 60 or 70 kg person, removal of a total of less than 5 liters is considered safe for outpatient surgery. 

Thus, if the time in the O.R. will be more than 4 hours or more than 5 liters will be removed, then I would recommend that you split the procedures up into 2 separate surgeries in order to be safe.

I hope this answers your question.  Good luck!

Gynecomastia and Liposuction of Abdomen/Flanks

Hi frozenabs007,

In my practice it is not uncommon to perform this combination of surgeries. However, one must consider each case individually. The two most important factors are how long the anesthesia will be and the volume of fat to be liposuctioned. These are the two main issues in keeping the risks of surgery lower.

The advantage of this combination is that you will have to undergo only one recovery period as the exercise restrictions associated with one operation is typically similar to that of the other procedure. The additional advantage in my practice is that the cost is typically less when combining the procedure because of the operating room and anesthesia costs are consolidated.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Male Breast Reduction | Gynecomastia Surgery

No, gynecomastia surgery and liposuction of the abdomen and flanks is typically not too much surgery to have done at one time.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Plan to have Gynecomastia procedure (excision and lipo) and considering liposuction of abdomen and flanks. Same time?

Gynecomastia and liposuction are common procedures, and are often done in combination, producing excellent results with very little incidence of complications. If you are seeing a Board Certified plastic surgeon, with extensive experience in this area, you should feel confident with his/her ability to perform these procedures.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

If you are medically healthy and your medical doctor gives you surgical clearance then you should be able to combine these procedures. Check with you plastic surgeon to ensure he / she is okay with multiple areas of work.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

It is possible to combine these procedures provided that you are in good medical health.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to understand your options.  

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS

Assuming you are in good health and a good candidate for the procedures, you will likely be able to proceed with all of the procedures you are considering. Make sure that you pick your  plastic surgeon carefully; make sure that he/she is a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant  experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Best wishes.