Nerve pain after Lipo and BBL?

Hello, I am now 4 weeks post of op of liposuction on my back, flanks, abdomen and fat transfer to buttocks. I've had nerve pain in my right foot and calf, my doctor says its from the inflammation caused by liposuction and once the swelling goes down the pain will disappear. Is this true/common? This pain can be excruciating, especially at the end of the day. For my own peace of mind I went and had an ultrasound done to rule out blood clots (no blood clots where found)

Nerve pain after Lipo and BBL?

Greetings

Thank you for your question,  it's possible the inflammation associated with the postoperative swelling is responsible for the pain in your lower leg and foot. 

• It seems more likely that the fat injection into the buttock has injured the nerve or some of its branches.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Excruciating Pain Is Not Typical

I'm sorry your postoperative experience has been so painful. Some discomfort following liposuction and fat grafting to the buttocks is normal and expected, but I wouldn't call what you've described a typical experience. As your doctor said, it's possible the inflammation associated with the postoperative swelling is responsible for the pain in your lower leg and foot. If you haven't already, you should have an ultrasound for the buttocks in addition to the leg. I would also discuss the persistent nerve pain again with your plastic surgeon to examine other possible causes besides swelling. Good luck to you.

Arthur M. Cambeiro, MD

BBL - excruciating sciatic pain

Thank you for your question about your BBL and liposuction.

• With all due respect to your surgeon, I suspect that your sciatic pain is not related to your liposuction.
  • The sciatic nerve to the leg runs through the lower buttock.
  • If you were my patient, I would order an ultrasound study of the lower buttock, not of the legs.
  • And I would send you to a neurologist for evaluation of the function of the sciatic nerve.
  • I suggest you discuss these possibilities with your own surgeon - I trust you are under the care of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS