7 weeks post abdominal & flank lipo & not liking the results; should I continue wearing compression? (Photos)

As my title states I am 7 weeks post LIPO my results aren't what I thought . I am still lumpy and the skin seems loose. I did loose 3 inches off my abdomen and hips. Will my skin tighten and should I continue wearing compression?

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

It takes weeks to see the results of liposuction and swelling can last for months. Massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy and hyperbaric oxygen will drastically reduce swelling. In my practice, I have patients use double compression (foam underneath and full body suit on top), 24/7 for 3-4 weeks and then nightly for another 3-4 weeks. I suggest consulting with your physician if you have concerns, and continue to follow his or her post op protocol.  you may need a hi definition body shaping procedure (VASER HI DEF) for improvement or even skin removal.  I suggest you see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

7 weeks post lipo

The skin will not tighten after lipo to any significant degree. You are likely still swollen and this can take several more months to completely settle.

Your only 7 weeks out and you need to wait at least another 2 to 3 months for the swelling to go down/away.  If there is any skin tightening you should start to see it about 4 to 6 months out from your surgery.  You should wear some sort of compression.  Messaging, velashape or venous legacy treatments will not help and don't waist your time and money.  Check in with us in 2 to 3 months.

Andre Aboolian, MD

7 Weeks Post Abdominal & Flank Liposuction

Hi m41315,
Thank you for your question and photos.

I recommend contacting your surgeon to address your concerns. 

7 weeks post op you are still in the healing process. It is normal to have indurations and nodules during the recovery process which can take 3-4 months.Compression can help with the swelling but not the final result. All the best with your recovery!

Jeffrey A. Klein, MD
San Juan Capistrano Dermatologic Surgeon

7 weeks post abdominal & flank lipo & not liking the results; should I continue wearing compression?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

LIposuction - unhappy with irregularities and loose skin

Thank you for your question about your liposuction.
  • You are still swollen and things will improve.
  • Follow your surgeon's instructions on compression - some patients find it makes a difference, others do no.
  • Massage may or may not be helpful - again ask your surgeon.
  • Give yourself four more months to see you final result - things will continue to improve.
  • If however your skin is loose (and liposuction, like weight loss, can leave loose skin) then you may eventually need to decide whether that is acceptable or if skin removing surgery is needed to get the look you want.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction question

The need for compression is a topic of much debate and discussion. Each surgeon has a different protocol. It's best to follow your doctor's advice. I find that massage is helpful to add in the postoperative recovery for liposuction.

Garments after liposuction

It would be best to consult with your physician, but there would be no additional benefit to wearing your garments for longer after the technique that I use.  However, be patient.  It takes at least 3 months to see 80% of your result and up to 6 months to see your full result.  Swelling and irregularities are common until that time.

Lawrence Osman, MD